Is learning music theory worth it?

Karrma

I've been a producer for about 4 years now, and just recently started pushing it as a career super hard. I'm working on getting a website soon and I've been striving to put myself on the map. I was just wondering if it's worth it for me to sit down and take the time to study, and learn music theory. Will I be able to tell a big difference? Will it help that much in the long run? I'm a hip hop producer for the most part unless I get a random artist that wants something different. I noticed hip hop music starting to actually be structured now a days. I know a few years ago you could just bang around on the keys and end up making a hit. I've never been that way though. I do know how to play the keys. I'm not a noob. Anyway, sorry for rambling. Is it worth it for me to take the time and learn music theory? Also, does "composing" fall under music theory?

Any input is appreciated. Get back to me.

- Karrmabeats

If music is going to be your trade, I think it makes sense to know as much about music as you possibly could.

Music theory, imo, helps you understand what you are doing & why. You'll know why certain things go together, why some things don't. It will help you communicate with your artist, help them understand what you're looking for, if you know the right way to tell them.

I don't know much about theory, major and minor I understand, scales of course, but if you wanna go in deeper than that be my guest, I can just never stay awake to read that stuff.

I don't know much about theory, major and minor I understand, scales of course, but if you wanna go in deeper than that be my guest, I can just never stay awake to read that stuff.

In other words you don't know sh!t. Lol you shoulda went deeper into it or you might as well not even learned that.

In other words you don't know sh!t. Lol you shoulda went deeper into it or you might as well not even learned that.

I'm in FL bro, I got all the chords I need in there. Theory is for nerds. Just do what sounds right, just like with mixing. Sure you can cut here and there but really it just varies song to song.

google "advice from teddy riley"

and watch the vid.... its under 3 mins :D

a vh1 special.... click 3rd link that shows up on google search

---------- Post added at 07:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:35 PM ----------

google this also
"Would Piano Lessons Make Me Better At Beats?"
click the first link that pops up

its a convo from 2006.... pretty interesting thoughts were shared

Last edited:
I'm in FL bro, I got all the chords I need in there. Theory is for nerds. Just do what sounds right, just like with mixing. Sure you can cut here and there but really it just varies song to song.

Im sure youre partially joking, but why would you limit yourself because you think its nerdy? Im always trying to learn whatever I can to improve, regardless of whether its considered nerdy or not. I pick any music majors brain I happen to run into, Ive learned a lot and had some interesting conversations about music that way.

Last edited:
I'll put it this way.
If you don't know theory, You're gonna use the same scale over again.
You will probably be in the same key over and over again.
Using the same progressions over and over again, in the same harmony over and over again.
Theory gives you boundaries in music at first, then unlocks ways to compose and create music you would have never thought possible.

Last edited:
No theory is for fags. Real life losers. Im gonna get rid of all my theory courses and delete the 15+ pages of notes I was gonna give out on here...i definitly aint no ****in nerd. Imma sell my midi controllers too...i got all the chords i need in FL.

LOL AT all you theory advocating closet homos

Theory is the foundation for everything that's awesome about music.
In theory, everything is relative and it gives you that much more power and control over something.
You find ways to go about something, you find new approaches to a composition, and you find solutions to a section that would stump someone that doesn't know theory.
One day you're gonna run out of presets and you're going to find out in the professional (or maybe an amateur) world, no one will take you seriously if you don't have a understanding of what you're even making.
To make music without knowledge of music theory is definitely an uphill battle.

Theory is the foundation for everything that's awesome about music.
In theory, everything is relative and it gives you that much more power and control over something.
You find ways to go about something, you find new approaches to a composition, and you find solutions to a section that would stump someone that doesn't know theory.
One day you're gonna run out of presets and you're going to find out in the professional (or maybe an amateur) world, no one will take you seriously if you don't have a understanding of what you're even making.
To make music without knowledge of music theory is definitely an uphill battle.

dude no you dont. All you gotta do is pick chords in fl. theory aint cool man thats that nerdy stuff

LOL at the fl chord drawing. ...but i'm in pro tools :sigh:.

But no really, I rather play my own music anyway. (In case you were being serious about drawing midi in fl).

Anyway, I started the thread and I was just letting you guys know I appreciate the replies, I haven't been able to respond because everytime I view the first page of the this thread, the page kills itself. So to the guy posted the two google links.. kudos to you. That was good insight. And to the guy who said I'd play the same scale and same chords etc. Kudos to you too because I find myself doing that too much. I've started bookmarking some sites already, getting ready to take a crash course in theory.

So mad thanks to everyone that's had input so far.

then call me a nerd (I am but that is different)

Music theory is like knowing the engine beneath the hood - knowing how it works, why it works and how you can modify it to improve it's performance/quality is important if you want to do new things.....

---------- Post added at 06:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:55 AM ----------

I'll put it this way.
If you don't know theory, You're gonna use the same scale over again.
You will probably be in the same key over and over again.
Using the same progressions over and over again, in the same harmony over and over again.
Theory gives you boundaries in music at first, then unlocks ways to compose and create music you would have never thought possible.

damn I love being quoted by folks who don't know I've already written that here...... :)

---------- Post added at 08:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:59 AM ----------

@alxgry: you gotta be kidding everyone, right ;) (you know what I mean........)

my point exactly - I write my own software so therefore I am nerd by most peoples standards, I read music at sight which makes me a nerd by most peoples standards, I have thoughts and opinions on most things backed by solid facts and theory which makes me a nerd by most peoples standards, .....

im glad everyone picked up on my sarcasm! lol Im still workin on those notes BC..

Every body thank BC. I have 14+ pages of notes (theyre spaced out BC :P) n he is so graciously going to review them just to make sure I dont give out misinformation (there wont be much reviewing ;) ). Then all you guys can have some free resources to hopefully learn from. Im only just getting the basics and Ive improved drastically.

Last edited:
my point exactly - I write my own software so therefore I am nerd by most peoples standards, I read music at sight which makes me a nerd by most peoples standards, I have thoughts and opinions on most things backed by solid facts and theory which makes me a nerd by most peoples standards, .....

I hope Im as nerdy as you one day!

Last edited:
Back