Learning guitar questions

[Shizo] said:
lol thanks, it sounds very cool! But it's rather difficult to imagine, so I'll look for some pictures or videos of those thumb picking techniques that you mentioned.

naw check it...hold the pick regular between thumb and first finger. Normally the pick strikes the string horizontally. Instead, turn your whole wrist (clockwise) so that the pick will strike the string vertically. Make sure the skin of your thumb is close to the tip of the pick, really almost together. Then just pick downwards until you get it to squeal. Once you figure it out, it's easy.

What's happening is the pick is hitting the string first, then the skin of your thumb hits the string, and all this happens in an instant as you pick.

Awesome! I got it to squeal with that pick+thumb technique on the high strings, but I also found that if you play a note then slap the lower string, it will also "squeal." Not sure about that "barely touching the 2nd fret" thing, but I guess it's enough squealing for now. ;)

I also did some cool tapping just now. But I have a problem - when I tap, all other strings are ringing (also because I have to boost the volume to hear tapping). I tied a scarf around the neck, but what do people do in "live" situation?

You need to train both hands to mute unused strings. It will come naturally after a while.

Yo i love this site... Man I wish I knew about this site when I had to replace the strings for the time!!!

Back