Learn to use "Motifs"

SonicAddict

Learn to use motifs when writing melodies.

A motif isn't a melody, and it isn't a single note. It's a small musical idea that makes up a melody.

It could be either melodic or rhythmic.

Example:

"Row, row, row, your boat."

Is a motif, it's not complete as a melody by itself.

The first four notes of Beethoven's Fifth Symphony are another great example.

One of the easiest ways to tell an inexperienced writer apart from an experienced writer is through their use of motifs. Inexperienced writers tend to write music that sort of wanders around aimlessly, which leaves the listener without anything to latch onto, there's nothing to focus our attention on.

I like to explain motifs as words, or sets of words within a sentence. Here an example:

Let's start by picking a motif, then i'll write a short story to illustrate my point. (Note: This is not how motifs work in English writing, this is an example of how motifs work in music, through an analogy of words, letters, and sentences.)

'Juice' is the motif.

"Hi, do you have any juice?
Sure, we have apple juice, orange juice, and grape juice.
I'll take the orange juice."

Juice is obviously the main subject here. The first sentence introduces it, the second sentence plays around and develops it, and the third sentence returns the developed idea.

This is just an analogy, and i'll be the first to admit it's not the 'best' way to explain this concept. The best examples are in your favorite music, so go and listen to alot of music and pay attention to how motifs are used.

Back