Learn rhythms / sing on key.

Drange

Artist
Hello everyone, I am a rapper and my vocal techniques have improved dramatically, I can figure out how to not strain my voice, belt, etc.

However, what is good way to learn how to sing on key? (My voice is baritone and I have trouble matching my tone to a key on the keyboard.)

Also, what is a full-proof way to learn rhythms to the point where it's instinctive?

Accomplishing these two feats, composing, and ear training should jet propel me on where I want to be musically.

One way to make sure you rap in key is to write your melody/chords in the key you rap in. Rap a couple bars, find the note that you use with most with your words and use that key in your track. For example, when you rap and most of your words are an A (you can check this with AutoTune, a tuner or just hit keys on the piano until you find the right note) then write your melody/chords in the key of A. Or you can find the note you use the most and write your melody in the relative minor of that key. For A the relative minor would be Fmin. Or you can make A the fifth of your scale and use the key of D or Dmin. Hope this helps.

As far as rhythms go, if you can speak instinctively then you can create rhythms instinctively. This goes for rapping or instrumentals. Try to stay true to natural speech patterns and you can't fail. Good luck.

Alright so I'm trying to make a song in the key of A. Any advice for chord progressions / rhythms in rap verses / chords? I'll just experiment and find things that I like I suppose. >.<

There are so many different ways you can go. There is no way to tell all of them here. Do yourself a favor a buy the book Idiot's Guide to Music Composition.

In the mean time try a I IV V chord progression in the key of A with triads. That would be chords A, D and then E. You can use that chord progression over and over and make some great stuff.

Back