Lack of inspiration?

Matthew Jayden

Hey guys! So, I've been producing music for like 2 years now, and since a few months ago, I find it hard to create melodies. I always find a scale, and try to create new melodies with it, but, whatever I create, no matter if I try for a melody, or a drop, it sounds like nothing. I have no inspiration at all, ideas just don't come to me. I've been messing around in a piano roll for nearly an hour now, and no matter if I change the sound, I just can't put it all together. What tips would you recommend to get my inspiration back & do you think that getting a MIDI Keyboard would help (If yes, I'd like to hear more about it)?

My partner in producing recently taught me that even if i think the melody i came out with is "boring", i shoul complete the beat structure,close my DAW then come back after about 2 days when i'm feeling at my best then go back to that "boring beat" and have a talk with it with my fresh mind lol,hope it works for you,the key is just in finish the beat even if it is "boring" then returning to it after some time or even having someone to produce with you sometimes so you embedd different approaches to beatmaking in your system.cheerz mate

1. make comments on this forum
because the energy of others also effects you on positive way

2. listen 5 different songs before you make a melody, 5 other songs after, so you get ideas whats possible that you can do, and you don't get bored with listening same sounds for hours

3. don't aim perfect melody but simply have fun experimenting with different kinds of melodies rhthms and all that, and magic starts to happen because music is not about making a perfect melody is about feeling good and expressing that state of the mind to others through the rhythm, melodies

sometimes it's best to just step away from the equipment. you cannot force creativity. it should flow naturally. try listening to some classical or contemporary music for some melody ideas. easy-listening music usually helps as well.

if you use FL try using ghost channels to see the chords for whatever scale you use, then build on top of it in your melody channel and when done split the pattern. the type of melody you make will depend on your ideas

Sometimes a change of environment is very helpful. Listening to something other than rap (or an artist that I consider to be far above my skill level) is usually a fairly effective method, especially Slipknot, Cradle of Filth, and SOS band.

The reality is that you hold an opinion of yourself to highly to be blunt. That's the root cause of "writers block" if you can't sit down with a simple 6 5 4 and write something it's not musics fault. The best thing to do is take the pressure off, love music and remember it doesn't owe you anything, then you will be able to write too much music. However I think it helps a lot to have a practice regiment to keep your brain filled with new information, learn Jazz theory.

Back