The lack of creativity on arrangement - How to sound less repetitive?

bschaefer

Ok, another post about lack of creativity, but this one is a little bit more specific. This is NOT about any psychological block, but a "how to" creativity process

I have some problems when I'm making the arrangements of my song: It always sound too repetitive, less exciting.
Actually, I have 2 issues, and just want some tips to get better. DONT WANT a specific answer, just want to know how you guys do to not sound boring.

First of all, I'm starting to produce more techno and progressive house style, and almost always I start with pretty standard pattern to avoid the repetition, like 16-bar loops of drums and percussion, etc. Then, when arrangement are ready (or almost), I start to add some FX to it. Even if both genres are, per si, a little bit repetitive in their own ways, I think that my tracks are way too boring. When I listen to some pro's, those tracks just dont get boring, even when they repeat the same loop over the entire song. I mean, a good track are constantly "mutating" without lose the essential parts. I know that the mix and automation and dynamics helps a lot, but i'm talking about things appearing and disappearing on the track.

Considering that LESS IS BETTER, how to make a track efficiently, with not too much crap on it, but not too boring.

Issue 1: How to improve the percussions and FX of a track? Its all about throw a ton of samples in it randomly all over the track? And if thats it, how is the creative process of it? I mean, when I listen to a prog house track, there's a lot going on. Lots of pads, effects and "random" chords. While when I listen to a techno, or other genres more "percussive", theres a lot of different types of percussion all over the track, unique ones. It's seems like the producers knows EXACTLY what they want and where they want it on their tracks, and thats a problem to me.

Issue 2, and most common: When I "write" the loops of a drum or find the chords, and it seems good enough to make the arrangement, sometimes I find myself stuck in that loop, and this lets me not be able to make variations of that loops. I mean, when this happens, I feel that I cant make a variation of that loop or a chord progression sound better than the original. Any tips for make the variations?

Overall, what you guys do to overcome those issues. Any tips?
Sorry for my english, I'm not a native english speaker

Hey b,

Can you post some of your tracks to help us understand where you are musically?

GJ

Sure!
Actually I have only one track in my soundcloud, and i'm not at home, but later I could post some unfinished craps that I made.

This song is not finished, but I posted just because it not sound tooo boring at all, but still's a crap :o

BTW: Those FX from this track came from the original mix.

Last edited:
Huh. It's now showing the track as "unavailable" (both in your embedded link, and on the original page). I did give a very quick listen earlier, when I didn't really have time to respond, so I will have to go on memory here...

I like what you did so far. You have taken a pretty minimalist approach, which I think is pretty standard and appropriate for this type of EDM genre. One thought though-- if you're going to have very few changes (melody, bass-line, rhythm pattern), I would say make the different sections shorter. Moving things along a bit would help keep things interesting, especially if you are intentionally limiting your options. A melodic line (vocal?) or some type of bona fide lead (not just a "lead sound" that plays a few notes; a real lead that is more like a solo or melody voice) would also create interest and help to establish designated sections of your song form.

I think it's more than just "adding random samples" (although vocal samples can help too); you need to think like a song-writer (even if you are composing primarily instrumental music); study other genres of music and analyze song form/format and see what others do with that. Then try to apply some of what you learn from the "Big Picture" to your chosen genre or sub-genre.

As far as creating interest in your drums/rhythm section parts, an easy way to start would be to play with "mix-outs;" bring hi-hats in and out in different places, add or subtract aux percussion (shakers, congas, electronics) and see what simple variations you can create while still emphasizing the essence of your rhythm part.

GJ

PS-- Personally, I don't think it's "boring crap." I think you just need to tweak things a bit to "bring it to another level."

Last edited:
Sorry about the track, I deleted it from my soundcloud. I will recycle it and then upload again (beacuse I lost the remix contest, lol).

About shorter sections, I didn't even noticed that. Maybe the sections are really too large. Great tip!
Moving things reminds me of a tip that I read a long time ago, that is to make some details off the standard 4/4. A simple 3/4 could help a lot, but I just forgot about this!

I like to work with vocals, it easy me the pressure, lol. And the lead is a great tip too, I'll work on it.
About the mix-outs, I already play with some instruments in and out, but I never though about aux percussion, and this could make a good variation on the track

Thank you for the tips! It opened my mind for some issues that I have!

It's seems like the producers knows EXACTLY what they want and where they want it on their tracks, and thats a problem to me.

Doubt it; more like trial and error.

Either they have lots of sounds laid around and try things over and over until they find what they like. Or they are using some synth/sampler patch and experiment playing/programming different things until something clicks.

For me I tend to make music in response to itself. With drums I can't really write them out of thin air, it's like writing a sentence starting with the punctuation. If you get an idea down that idea spawns other ideas. For me percussion is always a response to the melody parts of the track. It's not so much the sound but how it works with everything else. So you have to try things.

Also, automate everything.

Last edited:
Automation, mutes, riffs, extra sound effects, layering, longer loops; all of these things come in to play to make a track more interesting. But, do note that even though those hit songs you hear sound simple. It takes a very trained ear to come up with something very simple that still remains catchy and non repetitive throughout the song. Try not to compare yourself to major labels.. Just do your own thing, remain persistent, and always be seeking new information. Maybe make a goal to learn 1 new tip a day, and after a year.. You won't remember every single tip, but it has a huge impact on your production. One idea influences another.

I'd like to stress the importance of automation and mutes one more time, they are extremely important! Best of luck to ya.

Back