Korg MicroKontrol and FL 5

Dansgold once posted a tutorial on hwo to configure the 16 pads to play samples like the MPC.

I followed every step. got 1 pad to work. but i dont understand how to change the settings to configure the other 3 pads to play the sample/notes i have set.

CONFIGURING FL STUDIONow you must create a layer channel in FL studio, goto channels menu > add one > layer. Now add all the sounds samples you want to play using yur keyboard pads, now open up the channel menu(left click on the layer in the step sequencer). now select all the channels you want to play by right clicking on the selection lights next to the channel name, make sure they are all selected, now go to the layer channel window and click on set children. This links these channels to the layer channel.

Now if yu left click on each of the sound channels to access the channel setting you should find a keyboard down the bottom of the window. Here you need to set the roots not and the zone which the note will play at. you want your first sample to be root noted at C5 so right click on C5(should already be highlighted in dark orange. But you only want this to play in C5 not C#5 for example.So you must left click where the orange part is. This will create a light orange area that will be under the dark orange area unless it extends beyond the dark area. above this is should read "root note: C5 / Zone: C5 to C5, now you do this for your next note allocating it C#5 root note and zone C#5 to C#5, make sue the zone is only on that single note as well- this is important.Keep working your way aong untill you have added all your notes that you want.

CONFIGURING THE KEYBOARD
-Hold down the setting, press the 3rd pad on the top row and then the pad that you want to allocate a note to. start with pad #1, you can turn the knob to adjust the selected pad also.

-now press the green right arrow, turn the knob until it says note#.

-then press the right arrow again, now adjust until the display reads C 4: 060, this will trigger the sample you allocated to C5 in Fl(note for some reason the octave is lower on the korg)

-press right again, change to MIDIcd01
-press right again and change Typ: to Mont, the hit enter.

To save the scene, hold down scene, hit pad 16(bottom right) then pad 1, hit the right arrow, scroll to FL Studio, press the right arrow again so the screen readin sure? and hit enter.

Now select your layer channel in fl and hit that pad, you just assigned. it should trigger the sound you assigned to C5.

Once all this works, all you need to do is go through the steps above for the other pads/assigned notes and you should have a fully working drum pad section.

Please correct me if I am mistaken but what you just explained is if you have a keyboard you can assign each key to play a certain sample so to speak. Like one key on the keyboard could play a hard hitting snare you found somewhere then the key next to it could possibly play a hi hat when you touch it? Is this what your explaining? ... The thing is I am awaiting a connector to link up my keyboard to my PC so until I have that I couldnt go and practise what you just said so I am just simply asking instead.

Sean1986 said:
Please correct me if I am mistaken but what you just explained is if you have a keyboard you can assign each key to play a certain sample so to speak. Like one key on the keyboard could play a hard hitting snare you found somewhere then the key next to it could possibly play a hi hat when you touch it? Is this what your explaining? ... The thing is I am awaiting a connector to link up my keyboard to my PC so until I have that I couldnt go and practise what you just said so I am just simply asking instead.

Well Sean, I think La Records was specifically talking about the KORG MicroKONTROL keyboard. The MicroKONTROL doesn't have any onboard sounds as it is a MIDI keyboard/controller. All its sounds come from soft-synths, of which you assign the "sounds" or samples to the MicroKONTROL keys, knobs and sliders. If combined with a wicked soft-synth, the MicroKONTROL can be heaps of fun!

Apart from being a MIDI keyboard, the MicroKONTROL has a 4x4 sample pad (like the ones you can find on an AKAI MPC). That's one of the things that make the MicroKONTROL so cool.

Back