That Kind Of Kick...

trackavelic

How can I have the sound the kick that you find in "Lean Back" of Fat Joe, "Tasty" of Bubba Sparxxx, "Gangsta Party" of Joe Budden, it's the same...
Some people told me to play with eq, compress, ... but how?????

I dont have those songs to listen to them right now, but i heard Fat Joe's "Lean Back" many times tho. And it seems it was just regular 808 bass drum with maybe toms layered over it. No?

Hi,

I never listen to those tracks but as an producer I know that for the fat ,prominent kick (also for all sounds) you need to layer 2 kicks ( or as samurai said tom tom. One for the bottom and one for the presence in mid and hi freq. You need to put it on a separate chanel so you can eq separately.Then group it into to one chanel with comp, and play it with treshold and ratio.

For a fat and agressive kick use treshold from -10 to -18 and ratio from 4 to 8. You need to play, there is no a formula.

Hope I help you.

yas you kent but if you what a crespy Kick just play whit the EQ if you dont know what a EQ is thas mine Equalizer en put a littel bit of reverd en fillter you nite tu amprovisa

i have it al

Last edited:
Pinax said:
Hi,

I never listen to those tracks but as an producer I know that for the fat ,prominent kick (also for all sounds) you need to layer 2 kicks ( or as samurai said tom tom. One for the bottom and one for the presence in mid and hi freq. You need to put it on a separate chanel so you can eq separately.Then group it into to one chanel with comp, and play it with treshold and ratio.

For a fat and agressive kick use treshold from -10 to -18 and ratio from 4 to 8. You need to play, there is no a formula.

Hope I help you.
This works well, and I would add some playing around with the pitch until you get a sweet spot where the two kick samples become massive as one. If you can do this right it will be awesome without even going too loud.

The kick on Lean Back sounds like a real kick or possibly a lowered tom with an 808 behind it. I try to reproduce hip hop drum sounds too. You can listen to some I've made hear...

http://drummachine.tradebit.com

I'll post again if I can reproduce that lean back kick.

FastSamurai said:
I dont have those songs to listen to them right now, but i heard Fat Joe's "Lean Back" many times tho. And it seems it was just regular 808 bass drum with maybe toms layered over it. No?
all the songs are just basic 808s

i just take a drum i have...its a certain one... and i add reverb to it and gate it and voila!

wow, u guys are all wrong

its a freakin acoustic kick...not hard to emulate...i made one out of a simple 808 drum and it sounded damn close to the lean back one

take it from a guy with 15 posts to tell everyone they are wrong

dedo's right too... u gotta layer them, pitch 2 sweet spot and pan a bit. also, use hypersampled, or real drum in there to get the variance

Last edited:
Actually thats like a ethnical drum like a world percussion thats why it is in lean back Scott Storch likes ethnic sounds and bobby valentino - slow down.was a ethnic sample so it had ethnic drums.so go get a world percussion pack or ethnic and it should be in there.

Alright,
I have been experimenting myself trying to find the ultimate 'krunk' kick and the other day I found the perfect track where it had a kick hitting all by itself with nothing layered on top of it so I sampled it real quick and opened it up in my audio editor (sound forge). Then I zoomed in to see what was going on. It turns out the initial attack looked like your typical 'clack' sound followed by a sine wave (808) for the decay. So what does this mean? Layer two or more samples, one with a sharp attack and a fast decay over another sample with a longer decay that can just push those speaker cones. Along with some judicious use of EQ & compression that should do the trick.

Peace
Dj Tensai

Below is an example of what Im talking about
836546115_m.jpg

kicks

Whatsup all, this is my first time on futureproducers, I was just lookin around thought I'd give my 2 cents. I find for krunk type kicks like someone was just talking about I will take the boom kick, pitch that and envelope it in accordance with the track, then take the real attacky beater kick layer that with it and then compress those together like crazy. Sometimes if it needs a little more presence you can add in a more normal hip hopish kick for the mids. For that lean back kick I believe I saw someone from the studio it was tracked or mixed at say that it was 3 kicks layered and its def got a gated verb on it thats fit really well to it. also some distortion thrown lightly in with something like sans amp works real well to bring out harmonics in drums. layering is they key and the real subtle gated reverb is the extra nice touch.

Muzapstar said:
take it from a guy with 15 posts to tell everyone they are wrong

dedo's right too... u gotta layer them, pitch 2 sweet spot and pan a bit. also, use hypersampled, or real drum in there to get the variance

coming from a guy with 14 posts :rolleyes:

and since you're going all smartass on me....i've been here since 03' under a different alias until i got banned...but id rather not discuss that now

All of you think too hard, that kick is straight out of a Motif Kit, I think it's the "House" kit. No compression, or EQ directly to the drum, that's all done in the Mastering of the finished song. I'll go thru the motif next time I'm in the studio and find the sound.

Deranged is probably right. We do think to hard, which is why most successful hip hop producers are able to put out a hit single every week and why it will probably take me a decade to finish an album (im in no hurry...). In the end which one is better will be up to the listener to decide. But I rarely use the gospel according to Billboard as the basis for my own decision.

D-Melt

i made this kick almost dead on, you just layer a really solid sine kick with a hollower, more resonant kick (almost a tom drum type kick) and compress them together.

Back