Kick and Snare/Clap/Tom at the same time played

fruityhero

Whazzup guys!

I got a question: I know that it's really dangerous to put a clap/snare/tom over a kick. And so many people might say now, I shoud eq. But if you eq, you don't take the transient away, which causes the high peak in the master due with the other one. And when, than it sounds like garbage. So how do you go on further here? do you have to take out the transient of on of those elemtents? Pls help. Thx

Best Fruityhero

^This. And for the transients, it's totally up to you. You can layer drum sounds in many different ways. You can leave every drum as it is, filter some, use the attack of one drum and the body of another. Play them all at once or slightly delayed.

When it sounds dope, it's right.

Yeah, but how is it processed? Dangerous in the way, that 2 transients cause a high db peak. and you sure don't wanna blow up your speakers. So how do you do it? Eq or compress it? I just don't understand how this works. Cuz Eq-ing destroys the body of an drum element and compression would make it muddy, if you woud set it so up, that the peak is 0db.

limiter on the sum and start with a -24db on the master,
adjust until the limiter isn't used.
the normalize to whatever you want.

don't mix for 0db,
-24db is enough,

just remember to normalize the endproduct

Last edited:
Don't worry about the dB increase. Not only the transient, but also the levels of the body of the drums sum up. When your drums start to clip, you do what you should always do, when an instrument starts to clip (unless you want it to clip). You decrease the level.

To keep the balance with all other instruments, you may have to decrease the level of every channel. Usually there's a function that let's you select all channels and change levels on all channels simultaneously, so you don't screw your overall balance.

When you start a mix or production it's a good idea to keep your levels at about -10dB in every channel. As things sum up, in the end your mix will come close to 0dB.

Yeah, but how is it processed? Dangerous in the way, that 2 transients cause a high db peak. and you sure don't wanna blow up your speakers.

If speakers blew up that easily, they'd be blowing up all the damn time. In other words, it's not dangerous. Yes, you can theoretically break your speakers if you have it super duper loud, but it'd be uncomfortably loud all the time - this peak isn't gonna be the thing that does them in.

But anyway - you can both EQ & compress, but just do a lot less than what you're doing now and remember that things can sound fairly "thin" in isolation while still sounding fine in the context of a mix. EQ won't destory & compression doesn't muddy things up unless you overdo them.

The extra volume spike isn't very big if the two drums you are playing occupy different frequencies. A kick and snare/clap at the same time shouldn't be too bad at all

Obviously it depends on the context of the song but one way you can go about this is multiband compression and using the side chain. Listen to Logic's song "Ballin".

Back