Kick issues, too loud/too soft.

DELOH

Daphne Louise
Ive been working on this project I call 'Gold'.
The track has a melody build, and a bass-ish drop.
I am getting stuck all the time on my kick, I don't want it to be a Bigroom kick as that will destroy the bass sound.
I am using a simple , 'Romero Kick' but in the first part of the drop it seems too loud. In the second, where the melodies play along, it seems too soft to me.

Anyone with tips or how-to's for my settings?

I use FL-Studio, the bpm of the track is 128. Bass is sidechained as wel as the melodies.

https://soundcloud.com/daphnedeloh/kick-issues-file/s-YT2m5
The link above is the track - build up to end drop - the drop is the issue.

Much love.
xo D

Can you manually draw an envelope in where you want it louder/softer? Be careful with that though. I think it's more of an "apparent volume" issue based on what is/isn't going on in the mix. Are you married to that "Four-on-the-Floor-and-On-the-Top-Too" rhythm? Try muting the snare drum and see if you still have the same issues. I think it's that white-noise-y/punch-a-cow-in-the-side snare that's the root of your problem...

Hey fellow dutchman,

it's kinda hard to figure out exactly what's going on with that loud ass synth over the top, but i'll try
As far as I can tell, it seems weighty enough.. it doesn't seem too loud for me, but it doesn't cut through.
I don't know what a romero kick is but it does seem kinda clean compared to the synth, you might want to try adding a bit of distortion.
Do you have access to a saturator or tube amp plugin or something like that?
If you do it in parallel you can add more crunch without destroying the dynamics, and you can easily mix it in with the rest.

Thanks for the replies guys.
I've been testing your tips out and I must say that taking the snare out helps a bit.
Also, I have added an automation clip for the volume of the kick, which helps out also.
I will be working on this project till I think its 'good'.

Thanks again!

Back