Kick Drum loop/sound starting to sound different....???

Chew_Bear

Maybe its just me...BUT...

Does every producer (beginner - pro) know or hear the difference in pitch/harmonic between the 1st/3rd and 2nd/4th kick drums in a typical 4/4 time drum loop/beat....???

Right now...I am just practicing making small 1 bar/4 beat drum loops and I have noticed that...

Even though I am using only 1 kick drum sample...After looping and listening for a while...

It starts to sound like there is a shift in pitch between the 1/3 kick and the 2/4 kick. The 1/3 sounding lower and the 2/4 starting to sound a little higher. Almost like if I had intentionally wanted to have 2 different kick drum samples...(of which I don't).

1. Does this have anything to do with delay or the envelope (ADSR) of a sample and therefore how my ears are perceiving the sound...???

2. Is this "normal" in the world of audio engineering/music production and therefore just a regular un-explainable occurrence that is just part of the physics and dynamics of sound in general...???

Everyone notices or can hear this dissonance/effect right...??? Or is it really just me (Ears) and my crappy gear...???

It would be better if you posted the track for us to have a listen, but no, there should be no discernible difference in kick drums from only 1 sample. If you were using a synthesizer e.g. Sylenth/Sytrus etc, this could possibly lead to some pitch shifting due to envelopes gut even then it's not common.

Does this happen in all of your tracks or just the 1 you are working on?

Back