Kick Bass and drums in key

Vuijkie

How do you make sure your kickdrum and your bass is in key? I have this plugin called SPAN by Voxengo which detects the key for you. For a kick this is fairly easy but when creating a bassline, won't the key switch when you play different notes? Since the frequency will shift when playing higher or lower notes it wont be in key. Or maybe I'm going at this the wrong way.

Also, I tend to create the bassline after the melody so starting to make the kick in key with the bass will be a later process for me. I couldnt find that helpfull tutorials on this either. Suppose I would start with the bass and kick, and the kick might not be fully in key, would it be wise to Boost the peak of the frequency needed for the specific key according to the SPAN plugin? Or again, am I looking at this process the wrong way?

Help would be appreciated!

Generally all instruments should be in the same scale. I make my melodies first and then make my bassline depending on the scale i used for the melody.

Ok, So melody and bass (and other synths) in the same scale, after that the drums can be tuned in the key that matches this? Would you do this by eq'ing the drums?

You can tune your drums to the key used in the song. If it's in E minor (for example), you tune your kick and snare to E.

Back