Key differences between amateurs and pros?

bousebeats

Hi all

I'd like this thread to be an exchange between us producers about how to get our beats to the next level.

I'll first explain my situation and what problems I see myself in currently: My main problem is actually still the production stage itself, not mixing or mastering. It's weird but somehow I feel like my sound selection is really bad. When I make a beat and load up 3 or 4 instances of Sylenth1 I feel guilty and cheap, because I think that it's wrong to do a whole track with just Synth Sounds. Sometimes I try to add some natural elements, like I will cut out Vocal Samples out of nice youtube tracks I find or I will add a Kontakt 5 Piano sound, but they always sound somehow standard or usual and my intent in music making is to be as much different from other producers as possible, so how do you think is it achievable. Do I have to find and combine the right sounds or is it eventually the post-processing of the sounds and instruments that makes that final difference between pros and non-pros? Would be so thankful it this thread became a good exchange of good information for us all to learn!!

Thanks to you all!! I'm open for discussion. I produce since 2 years (FL Studio).

There's no "wrong" in this, you could use a hundred synthesizers or an elephant farting; the difference is that the "pro" will probably see the qualities of each sound and be able to use their knowledge, experience and imagination to combine them into something that sounds good. Everyone's shit sounds weak at the beginning, not to mention "artificial", so to speak - that's part of the process. I've always thought that the people that have the most distinct sound usually have the most diverse backgrounds and influences, and that myriad of different hues and shades will eventually coalesce into a new sound. Forcing yourself not to conform to the norm can be good, but it can also end up feeling a little...forced.

Thank you krushing for your post. Yeah I think if a producer forces it, it won't do much good for him as for the music.

IMO, THE difference between an amateur producer and a professional producer is a professional makes his money doing productions, an amateur not.

Keep at it mate with a bit of practice over the years and your ears getting trained you will be able to get more creative.

Back