Key Changes in song arrangements.

TDOT

What up FP?

I've been working a lot on song arrangement lately and was looking for advice in therms of key changes.

So when changing keys is it more practical to make a key change during the verse, say first 8 bars in one key and then last 8 bars of the verse go up key?

Or maybe leave the verse in one key and maybe have the hook played a key higher?

Also when changing keys to add interest, what is a good suggestion?
To move up one key? so from C to D or maybe a fifth C to G?

Can anything give some rule of thumbs guidelines to doing this? I know there are few boundaries in music, but just to get me started.

What up FP?

I've been working a lot on song arrangement lately and was looking for advice in therms of key changes.

So when changing keys is it more practical to make a key change during the verse, say first 8 bars in one key and then last 8 bars of the verse go up key?

Or maybe leave the verse in one key and maybe have the hook played a key higher?

Also when changing keys to add interest, what is a good suggestion?
To move up one key? so from C to D or maybe a fifth C to G?

Can anything give some rule of thumbs guidelines to doing this? I know there are few boundaries in music, but just to get me started.

short answer whatever works for you

consider country music - one of the few places we still hear the end of song key change.

Such a key change can be up a semi-tone - C-D[sup]b[/sup] - or a tone - C-D - or any other interval you like

What you want to do is to tonicise the new key by using one of many chord vectors

C--------G indicates a progression in C major that eventually arrives at G

C-Db: might move like so
- C--------G-C-D[sup]b[/sup] - i.e. abrupt key change no preparation
- C--------G-A[sup]o7[/sup]-D[sup]b[/sup] - i.e. C: I - V - Db: V7b9 - I
- C--------G-A[sup]b7[/sup]-D[sup]b[/sup] - i.e. C: I - V - Db: V7 - I
- C--------G-D[sup]7[/sup]-D[sup]b[/sup] - i.e. C: I - V - Db: TTSub-V7 - I
- C--------G-Dm[sup]7b5[/sup]-D[sup]b[/sup] - i.e. C: I - V - Db: TTsub-v7b5 - I

C-D: might move like so
- C--------G-C-D - i.e. abrupt key change no preparation
- C--------G-A[sup]#o7[/sup]-D - i.e. C: I - V - D: V7b9 - I
- C--------G-A[sup]7[/sup]-D - i.e. C: I - V - D: V7 - I
- C--------G-D[sup]#7[/sup]-D - i.e. C: I - V - D: TTSub-V7 - I
- C--------G-D[sup]#[/sup]m[sup]7b5[/sup]-D - i.e. C: I - V - D: TTsub-v7b5 - I

and so on

there are additional methods including using full and partial turnarounds as well as other oblique modulations

you may be interested in this book by max reger modulation

Back