just a question on scales

$nate88

Hi wondering if whoever reads this can help are you limited to one key while composing or can you change in the middle of a sequence because its been bothering me or should i stick to just one.i know all my scales circle of fifths ect thanks in advance NATE.

if you scroll down the threads a bit you should find a similar post... hardly 2 weeks old... in short, pop songs change key... with my compositions I like to have some variation but it doesn't have to be a key change...

only limitation is your own standards....

mix it up and have fun

and do look for those other posts that dk mentioned......

Technically you can change keys as much as you want. Listen to Love On Top by Beyonce. That is an amazing song and it has 6 key changes. The only downside to changing keys is that you are limited by the range of the vocalist. If you have anymore questions holla at me on twitter @djchev

You can change key (modulate ) as much as you like, it just depends on how you do it, and how you do it depends on how far away the key you want to move to is from the key you are working in. A simple device to use is a 2,5,1 progression. in the bar before the key change, play a minor 2 of the key you will modulate to, then the 5 chord, then the one on beat one of the next bar. So, from C major to Eb major, the last 2 bars of your sequence and the first bar of the next would look like this. C | F minor Bb7 | Eb major |

You can change key in the middle of sequence or for different sections in your music. Changing in the middle of a sequence is less common but it does occur in some songs. Following on from what tinfish mentioned, you can use a 2,5,1 in a sequence moving to a new key e.g. in the chorus of Shalamar "Night To Remember" Dm7 - Am7 - Cm7 - F7 - Bbmaj7
You can use sudden modulations up a half or whole step (like Love on Top by Beyonce or I Just Called To Say I love You by Stevie Wonder)
Alternatively, you can use a pivot chord - a chord which is common to both keys. For example in the modulating sequence, C - Am - D7 - G, Am is a pivot chord, as it's common to C and G.

Another trick that lets you switch keys without anybody noticing (one that I use all the time): for every major key, there's a minor key that has all (or mostly) the same chords. You can switch back and forth for some great variety without the huge jarring transitions that a modulation gives you.

To find the right minor key from a major key, just go down three half steps:
C --> B --> Bb --> Am

To find the right major from a minor key, go up three half steps:
Dm --> D# --> E --> F

Back