Just Midi

I would want to get into music production. But I tried and the midi and automation didn't seem natural or in sync. Especially when trying to do like "wobbles" with grid snapped envelopes.

Oh ok, sorry I didn't understand.

A lot of my tracks are done that way. Apart from drums.

If you click on the link in my signature, then you can find my soundcloud, have a listen to concerto for headphones part 2, doorbell, ozymandias and evolution, they are almost all MIDI synths with automation apart from the drums.

yeah I want to hear something that is 100 percent midi... meaning just virtual instruments and effects triggered by midi and envelopes... no live recorded audio... and no clips either

Last edited:
There's the KVR one synth challenge, but that doesn't include the use of any effects or processing, which makes a pretty big difference

I would want to get into music production. But I tried and the midi and automation didn't seem natural or in sync. Especially when trying to do like "wobbles" with grid snapped envelopes.

it doesn't seem natural because it's not, no musician just "snaps" those notes into place when they play. MIDI instrumentation is designed to fake real instruments, but i'd advise you to not fake the performance, but fake the sound. AKA buy a midi keyboard and start performing, not everything should be quantized, that natural sounds you speak of lie without quantization

I think I would do better with a pad controller with knobs...

Do you really have to perform all of the midi?

Last edited:
it doesn't seem natural because it's not, no musician just "snaps" those notes into place when they play. MIDI instrumentation is designed to fake real instruments, but i'd advise you to not fake the performance, but fake the sound. AKA buy a midi keyboard and start performing, not everything should be quantized, that natural sounds you speak of lie without quantization

I second.

MIDI is great to control and digitally manage data. You can trigger almost everything with MIDI, like synths, effects, even your coffee machine (yeah, Max 7 can certainly make it possible).

You need to remember that making music with it is completely dependant on the way you perform.
With digital synthesis, you may think that live skills isn't that important, because you can design your sound at the same time you hear it, and in someways manage your lack of performance by ingenious settings.

But, in sample-based synth for example, the way you play it definitively impact the quality of what you'll hear. For instance, some professional Kontakt librairies will trigger different samples/settings to match the velocity of your playing. You can definitively feel it on your keyboard, and it adds a lot of feeling to your music.

Don't underestimate the power of MIDI. Use MIDI keyboard and enjoy it. You can basically find MIDI keyboard with pads and knobs if you want to. But the most important is acquire a nice responsive keyboard, with good playing possibilities and great transmission of MIDI values.

i don't want a keyboard, i don't think i need a keyboard to perform my midi notes...

im sure everyones just gonna say "screw you guy... take my advice or gtfo"

i just don't think theres anything i cant do with a pad controller as opposed to a keyboard, if i cant play the piano...

IMO i need to perform to get a more natural rhythym... and playing on the pads should give me better rythym...and if the range of notes isn't big enough i can move the notes up and down with the arrow keys without changing their rhythmic position... even duplicate them and make chords

you said especially sample based synths... what about synths that aren't sample based... are they less dependant on live performance?

i spelled rythym wrong...

Sure you can use pads to trigger MIDI, and it could does the job like a charm, and it could be adapted to your workflow, too.

I personally use Maschine sometimes, it makes me feel fresh from the traditional piano pattern where I always look for that note or another. It can be fun to play, too.

Was just saying that basically you can buy pad/knob keyboard to have everything in hand. IMHO keyboard just enable efficiency when it comes to harmonise or play complex chords (5/6 notes, like gospel/soul/jazz ones), it makes sense when you need to quickly find notes. But you're right, some practice/theory behind piano may be necessary to use it effectively.

Yeah I find synthesis-based synths much less related to the way you play it than it is for sample-based ones. What synthesis gives is a wide choices of possibilities to you for arrange the way it sounds, velocity, articulation, etc.
On sample-based ones, you can't that much control the way samples are triggered. MIDI can inform the synth which sample trigger, and this is why now some virtual samples synths can create such great simulation of real articulations/groove/sound.

Depending on what kind of music you want to do, also. Keyboard is so flexible, I just can't stop loving it ahah.

i don't want a keyboard, i don't think i need a keyboard to perform my midi notes...

im sure everyones just gonna say "screw you guy... take my advice or gtfo"

i just don't think theres anything i cant do with a pad controller as opposed to a keyboard, if i cant play the piano...

IMO i need to perform to get a more natural rhythym... and playing on the pads should give me better rythym...and if the range of notes isn't big enough i can move the notes up and down with the arrow keys without changing their rhythmic position... even duplicate them and make chords

you said especially sample based synths... what about synths that aren't sample based... are they less dependant on live performance?

i spelled rythym wrong...

Everything's the guy above me said.

But I can't stress enough about velocity. If you get pads I sure hope you get velocity sensitive pads. But you should seriously consider a keyboard. 49 keys no less IMO. It does not matter if you cannot play piano at the moment. Remember you are becoming a music producer and you will forever be restricted if you don't know how music works.

You don't need to know how to play, but it is the easiest to visualize how all the note structuring works, eventually you'll progress to two hand playing understand impulses and what not and your performance will skyrocket. Don't be lazy with production, music knowledge and ability to play will take you much further

It'd be a good idea to get a piano first then drumpads after.
Pianos are good for both, drumpads are a preference. Not to mention 16 pads is 1 1/3 octaves and a small piano has 2 octaves minimum.
For drumming yes pads are great but if you like going between octaves then it'd be a hassle unless of course arps only.
But i'd seriously suggest a midi keyboard or other instruments or something because you will most likely not want to do unsampled melodies on a drumpad.

Some things are seriously just easier to attempt on a midi keyboard than pads man. But if you wanna see for yourself then I'd recommend those 8 pad controller for like 25-40$ to see if it's what you're even interested in.

You can use the piano like pads and you get more. The keys on a piano are the pads, it's all still midi.

Just get and do what every you want. Try it, don't like it, sell it!

nope I just improvise with some scales I learned and Bounce it and edit it if it's not a sample.
And for you, actually I'd recommend an axiom because it's both.
You can do the same crap with just a piano but for me drumming just feels so much better on stiff pads due to speed :/
I notice with those pianos, they feel great but I'm sluggish on those a LOT lol.

[Wait wait also forgot to mention that I didn't take the time to fully learn a real instrument besides drumming, just took the shortcut route and use the piano keyboard, hit the notes I like and bounce it] [Maudio 88ES]:D

Last edited:
@konkosskang

oh ok... so youre not formally trained... but you use scales... who taught you scales... what scales do you use? are they major/minor... or something special?

Just those basic ones on a website I found on google. Nope, no training [it shows lol]
Basically if not sampling a videogame/anime I'd just hum a melody and try to find each note on the maudio or just hit random keys I like hearin from scales. For some reason I like B and F# more but use all the keys if possible :/

Back