Is it just me?

Hi,

I'm looking for some advice. I've been making beats now for about 2 years and I'm looking to make a career out of what I do, however I seem to be stuck in the middle with my production.

When I start to make beats, I seem to struggle with getting started. My approach is to either create a drum loop first or, work with chords and build around either of these.

It's frustrating me of late because I just don't seem to be able to open up my DAW and just go with the flow.

I'm wondering if this happens to anybody else and what you do to overcome it? Any tips or encouraging words would be appreciated :)

hi there!

what you need to understand is that music is world of experimentation,
you may have a vision like , i want to create a boom bap beat with a melody bass-line, but you cant have like everything
you simply go to your daw and experiment on different ways until you finally like something
and that is the process you cant short cut it, unless you have lots of experience with the rhythm and melodies so you sure are more effective but still the same process

Your words were,

I just don't seem to be able to open up my DAW and just go with the flow.

To me that suggests you can't get into it, the will to make music.

A lot of people get stuck in that need for recognition. Like a child taking home a picture he did at school to show his mam. With out this recognition we lose spirit, get disheartened.

Take some time out. Come back to it and remember why you got into it in the first place, your love for sound, rhythm, music. Instead of that urge to please others and be recognised for your passion.

I took 2 years out, built a Scalextric track, modded some classic board games for fanbase download and have only just got back into production again. It's like the beginning all over again, only this time knowing what everything is, does.

Last edited:
Back