just don't know where to begin

Also, don't let fear of choosing the wrong bass patch freeze you up. You can always change it. I sometimes switch presets entirely after the song has developed, and I almost always tweak the synth settings to modify the sound.

More than half the time, I add additional bass layers too. Usually I have one layer for the deep fundamental, and one layer for the character, grit, and high frequency content. Sometimes I even have a third layer for wackiness or additional slap/punch for the attack, or some zany reason.

When I create these additional layers, I just duplicate my instrument track with the bass performance on it, then jump through presets until I find something close to the new sound that I want. It's easy to do, and you can re-use your same notes, your same recording. Though sometimes you need to bump them up or down an octave to sound right.

Remember, not all bass layers need to play all the time for the entire song. You can use fewer layers here or there. Switch it up, based on the section. You can even change the balance: maybe have less of the fundamental layer and more of the character layer during your verse, but have less of the character layer and more of the fundamental layer during your chorus (when you really want it to slam, and other synths are probably masking the bass's character).

Sidechain compression, depending on how intense it is, could happen during the sound design phase, or it could wait until the mix phase. EQ and compression can certainly wait until the mix phase. Yes, there is a lot to do, but most of it can be done later after you developed a track. Don't let the size of the to-do list keep you from starting on the first task.

I can't wait to hear your tracks!

just start by writing a basic piano loop and go from there or even start with a drum beat i usually don't worry about bass until i have the melody down.

Bassline synthesis is hard. You need something incredibly tight but something that also sounds good, packs a punch and has a fairly wide frequency spectrum without having too many dodgy harmonics. Then you've gotta think about parametric EQing, sidechain compression etc..

What I'm trying to say is don't worry too much about basslines for now, sure they can be a hell of a lot of fun to make, but in terms of your theory, it's much easier to start with chords and create a bassline, then to even take them out later seen as you're going for a darker vibe. It's hard to start building a track, and everyone's got a different process, but you should generally start building a groove with a drum beat first, and consider using some samples first to copy them. When I was starting out a friend said to NEVER use loops (same friend has just been picked up by some MAJOR labels - Sony & Warner), and while he has a really good point that you'll never learn to do it yourself if you only use loops, I think they can help, but don't ever rely on them.

Don't pressure yourself, just play around, don't stick to only one thing at the start - make chords, drums, FX, sliced vocal jams etc.. and remember this should be fun!

thank you! thank you! this helps!

Also, don't let fear of choosing the wrong bass patch freeze you up. You can always change it. I sometimes switch presets entirely after the song has developed, and I almost always tweak the synth settings to modify the sound.

More than half the time, I add additional bass layers too. Usually I have one layer for the deep fundamental, and one layer for the character, grit, and high frequency content. Sometimes I even have a third layer for wackiness or additional slap/punch for the attack, or some zany reason.

When I create these additional layers, I just duplicate my instrument track with the bass performance on it, then jump through presets until I find something close to the new sound that I want. It's easy to do, and you can re-use your same notes, your same recording. Though sometimes you need to bump them up or down an octave to sound right.

Remember, not all bass layers need to play all the time for the entire song. You can use fewer layers here or there. Switch it up, based on the section. You can even change the balance: maybe have less of the fundamental layer and more of the character layer during your verse, but have less of the character layer and more of the fundamental layer during your chorus (when you really want it to slam, and other synths are probably masking the bass's character).

Sidechain compression, depending on how intense it is, could happen during the sound design phase, or it could wait until the mix phase. EQ and compression can certainly wait until the mix phase. Yes, there is a lot to do, but most of it can be done later after you developed a track. Don't let the size of the to-do list keep you from starting on the first task.

I can't wait to hear your tracks!

man! this right here! thanks milo!

Everyone has unique'ness in their tracks and Unique is good, I always love to hear tracks from new producers

Last edited:
hey guys! where can i add a few remixes i recently finished for feedback? i also have the .als set as well in ableton...

thanks!

Back