Jungle beat

S

snoogan

I use fruity loops, and I am having lots of problems trying to lay down a fat jungle beat. can anyone help me out with the timing and stuff?. thanks!

You'll get it eventually. Keep listening and studying, jungle is obviously built on a common beat structure.
Start with a 16 step beat like this:
Kik- 1 _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ 1 _ _ _ _ _
Hats 1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_
Snare- _ _ _ _ 1 _ _ _ _ _ _ _1_ _ _
Shakers- 1 _ _ _ _ _ _ 1 _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Then just keep adding onto it from there, make longer patterns, add more percussion, tune your samples to the same frequency, it will make the beat sound better. Go to spinwarp.com and read what they have there, they have tutorials dedicated to making jungle with Floops.

sweet

thanks a ton bro! .. My beat is starting to come together nicely!

phat

yeah but it sounds pretty phat.. if you have any other beats that sound nice please post them... I would love to have a nice variety to work with!

I recommend getting some samples of old breakbeats

Get an amen... re arrange it, compress it, voilà

Jungle doesn't have to have a symmetrical snare line

KICK: 1_ _ _ _ _ _ 1 1 _ _ _ _ _ _ _ (yes this werks)
SNARE _ _ _ _ 1 _ _ _ _ _ 1 _ _ _ _ _

Play with the KICKs, play with the snares (!), play with the hi hats! avoid 4 to the floor, that's the way of jungle

Yeah, its nice to play with cut up breaks sometimes, but it can be way overdone. If you want to make something original, master the art of making all your own beats. Keep expanding your drum samples and find what works, trash what doesn't. Theres no reason to have a hard drive of useless samples- so download (or create) some decent samples and use an editor to make them all your own. Then just keep experimenting with different rhythms, if you want junglish breaks, just sort of stick to the basic guidelines of that beat I posted.

making a jungle track is easy anyway

download an amen sample
download an rocksteady sample

re arrange them, add kicks and snares, nice hihats, etc...

create a low distorted bassline with fruity's shitty 404. convert it to wav. apply the 7 band eq on it, push the low frequencies, kill the high frequencies. create a melody with this sample, add some reverb, layer the same melody structure above this one on another instrument, prolly one with highfrequencies, then you can add some subbasss that make the bassline "pregnant"

now add some distorted stabs...

VOILA, FONKY PHRESH

Last edited by a moderator:
Gee, sounds like you took all the fun out of it- making formulaic jungle is easy but trying to expand it is a bit more fun. Or maybe not jungle, don't know if it could be expanded and still be called that, but rather breakbeat oriented electronic music in general.

this was a joke and a hint at how "most" producers are producing the same shite over and over again

:))))))))))

Oh- you forgot to add your smiley face at the end of that post, then it would have been obvious:)

yo Member and God ....
............. i mean Stasis and Mindblunt ...:D:D:D
hehe
i chopped up a sample from some vinyl ...
and made it work ... it's at about 162 bpm.
i was gonna drop it up in streaming flash format onto my site to show you, but really it's just a basic stupid 2 tech step beat ... or whatever u call it ... but it works, even is a bit funky, there's a slight lag on the hats and it really funks it up cos it's only subtle, implies a shuffled house hat rhythm but isn't.

anyway, i really appreciate you guys and your advice, it helps. i thought i had to make it all from scratch. that's what i do 90 percent of the time. but, your advice on how to chop a break into 8ths really helped me feel okay about this. And hearing that stasis (i think) just used his sampler to chop it made me go yeah, i can do that too! for some reason i was sure i had to somehow make recycle work to do it, and for some reason i just never have wanted to touch recycle.

i chopped a sample from "Crazy Lloyd" by Kid Loops. The next track on the vinyl compliation is "Moments like this" by Toas, and it has some awesome open vibraphone ambient pad sounds. Dropped all on their own. They seem a bit lonely. Maybe i should sample them,......:cool:

Back