Jean Michel Jarre

Lehoo

Anybody here listen to french synth guru Jean Michel Jarre? If you don't, you should be, including those ppl who're asking all these questions about melodies; he's probably the most melodic composer out there, you can learn a lot just listening to him.

He did some great stuff and his Sound Design skills can be learned from a great deal.

JMJ is the reason I play synths.

From swirling arpegs to lush pads (oxygene/equinox/magnetic fields), to quirky vocal sampling (zoolook) and full orchestral arrangements (rendez vous) and anyone who can sample an anvil hit (revolution) and steel drums (calypso) and make 'em sound great is ok by me.

His melodic genius is the insiration behind what we now call Trance and if you disagree with the above, when all is said and done the guy's got a laser harp and his shows have helped shape the visual side of live music to the light shows we see today from acts like U2.

The guy has inspired a lot more than many give him credit for.

The guy has inspired a lot more than many give him credit for.
Exactly. He has been called the godfather of electronica. I hate that word, though. Let's just say he's had an enormous influence on everything from techno and trance to ambient. It's just too bad he doesn't have any recognition in North America, where i live unfortunately. In Europe everyone knows who he is and attendance at his concerts is record breaking. Take the 3 million in Moscow '97 for example.

Last edited:
Back