jazz piano sound

willy willner

Hey guys,

I need help with that overall piano sound you can hear in the track
"Silhouette Dance" from the Ridge Racer Type 4 soundtrack.
You can find it on youtube (i am not yet allowed to post links).

I am trying very hard to recreate the sound of the soft piano you hear in the background playing chords during the whole song and the sound of the layered (?) piano that kicks in at 01:09.

Both sound very smooth and jazzy to me and remind me of a Rhodes MK1, but I failed everytime I tried to recreate one of these sounds.

Please help me!

Last edited:
Thanks for these great free plugins.
I tried them, but still cant figure out, how to set them up so that they sound as smooth and clean as in the song I referred to.
But 4Front VSTs bring me to a much more realistic sound than all these multisamples and presets for Rhodes MK1 I used before.

What am I missing? Is there a special filter or eq that has to be lawn over the plugins?

There's definitely some reverb on the acoustic and electric pianos, not much but a smidgen.

On the Electrics it also sounds like there is a Lesley type spinning vibrato effect (rotating horn squawker/tweeter combo) with some panning between instances of the chords.

Definitely a swept low-pass filter about 2:45 in.

Hey bandcoach,
I know you already helped me alot, but to be honest my skills are still pretty low.
I am trying to recreate that sound to get a better understanding and feeling for how music production works.

I know all the basic stuff, but I still cannot get it to sound the way it should.. even with your help.
Would you be so kindly and give me a quick tutorial on how you set up the complete sound the way you think it was done?

BTW: I am using FL Studio 9 on Win7x64

EDIT: I got myself the Lounge Lizard EP-3 and it is awesome! Maybe I will finally be able to get that sound i am trying to have.

Last edited:
Back