Jazz Piano/Madlib type

Maksone

Hey everyone.

I've been making beats for awhile, but I don't have too much musical knowledge. I know the basics like names of keys or whatever from when I was five, but I can't actually play the piano.

I've been really feeling Shades of Blue from Madlib and a lot of the other stuff he plays.
Does anyone have any tips for learning piano in this style? Keeping in mind im a full n00b.
The one song that really gets me going is "Please Set Me at Ease" off Shades of Blue.

Thanks a lot

Last edited by a moderator:
errr

madlib doesn't "play" any instrument, he only did remixes...

so basically you were asking how to play like Bill Evans or Thelonious Monk...

lol wtf? madlib does play instruments. he plays keys drums and bass.

Samples

Maksone said:
I've been really feeling Shades of Blue from Madlib and a lot of the other stuff he plays.
The one song that really gets me going is "Please Set Me at Ease" off Shades of Blue.

That is a cool album for sure. Yes Madlib DOES play, but I'm almost 100% sure that the song in question is definitely a sample. Like the above poster, check out some of the great jazz improvisers like Monk and Bill Evans. If you check the album credits, it should tell you where the sample/idea came from.

PS. I forgot, that IS a remix album so it should list the sample.

If you have the time, maybe find a teacher or take an intro to piano class and tell the teacher your goals. That's what I did and I only wish I had learned to play the keys at a younger age.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back