Inverted Chord Progressions & Melodies?

StanleySteamer

Hey guys, I was wondering if I could get some advice on inverted chords progressions and melodies. Basically lets say I have a 2 chord progression playing at 1 bar each going from Fminor to Cmajor and I take the Fminor chord and make it Fminor/C to Cmajor, when I go to write my melody should and I start at F, should I start by using the F key since the chord is technically a Fminor chord or should I start at C since it is now the bottom note of the chord since I inverted it. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated!

You can do either, or neither- you could start on F, Ab, or C or even Eb which is the seventh of the F minor chord.

Or you could start the melody early on the C chord and use C, E or G- starting on the end of the loop is called using the upbeat

Last edited:
FM/C is in second inversion, because the fifth of the chord is in the bass.
Traditionally, a second inversion chord doubles the bass note, which would be C in this case, so beginning with a C in the melody would be a valid choice.

But traditions are merely options you could take. I've found that some of my best melodies didn't follow the chords too closely, and sometimes even introduced chromatic notes.

Hope this helps,
-AMinc.

Last edited:
Great responses guys much appreciated! I was thinking I should just change my melody to follow the new root of the chords which would be C.

Inversions are very important for me, especially in the Neo soul R&B genre. I have really neat trick to get inversion on the keyboard involving shifting two fingers only.

Inverting a minor 7th with normally give you the Dominant chord in the same key. Inverting again will bring you back to the Major chord 2-5-1

Check out more from my site.

Back