Intruments and specific keys to play for ambient/deep dark beats?

rasol

hey guys, just wondering what kind of instruments and keys youd play them in to get a nice ambient/deep vibe. to get that late night hazy feel. thanks for any help

yeah man thats pretty close, i use those techniques already. I guess i just want to know more what keys give a nice late night vibe, or chord types

There are some people who believe in "dark" and "light" keys. I am not one of them (or, at least, I freely admit that my hearing, as developed as it is, is not "advanced' enough for the concept to make any difference to my ears).

With instruments and keys, you should be worried about range. In other words, most instruments, other than piano or organ/keyboards, do not sound as good across the entire sound spectrum, and playing melodies on certain instruments in certain keys might be stymied by that particular instruments range, or total amount of useable notes available. The art of orchestration/arranging is often one of wise use of the proper instrument in the proper register/range. Same goes for people's voices-- we can't all sing great in all ranges from bass to soprano. So you've got to choose instruments that fit with what you want to do in a particular key (or vice-versa, pick a key or keys that make your featured instruments sound good).

As far as "ambient/late night/hazy/deep feeling" sounds-- these are what we call "producer words." You need to define them a bit before anyone can give you an answer that makes sense...

GJ

yeah man thats pretty close, i use those techniques already. I guess i just want to know more what keys give a nice late night vibe, or chord types

You can go to pianochord.com choose a root note and than click on different 7th chord variations till you feel whats needed. Then you'll know what direction to take on you keyboard.

if you play notes too fast it adds excitement and you dont want that for this kind of beats

dont play hats too often
keep full notes, half notes

Back