Instrunments for Chord Progression

svbeats215

Sorry in advance if this thread was already created

I was looking for some advice, as I have trouble every now and aging in this area.

When making a hip/hop beat, I find that when I make my chord progression (Using 3 notes), I have trouble finding the right sound for it.

I feel that, at times it also leaves me limited in making/or adding other things to the songs.

Is there a way around this? My newest beat, I made was used by only doing a single note chord progression. It came out pretty good, I feel doing this, opens up room for more sounds and leaving it less crowed, since using a 3 note Chord progression, leaves the notes hitting harder.

Chord progressions are my speciality. You will need more than 3 notes(triads) to spice up your productions.
Check out my site for a large database of chord progressions with MIDI files too.

Chords are a good way to structure your music. Like if i played a Gm chord then I would limit myself to only playing notes on that scale. Why? Because I am in the key of Gm. If I played outside of that key then I would have to switch keys for that part in the song. Play 1 note is a good way to start a song as it opens up a lot more direction to your song.

Note really, I like to play Audio and not really bother with MIDI unless I have package items for sale. I play over and over again until it just sounds right.

Well there are two things you want to make sure about
1. the rhythm : lots of hip hop beats have rhythmic drums, how thay play that snare and c hats these days and this creates rhythm and doesnt leave too much space for a rhythmic chords and melodies so because of that people use different approach so they focus on legato melodies like that mmg untouchable- rick ross for example and full notes of a pad, rhodes, organo, brass, ect
Or for example the song hustling-rick ross, there is just a tap of that chord, and use delay effects
Because the rhythm is dominated by drums and what you adding may just interfere with the rhythm and give a wrong direction with those rhythmic chords
2. Chord progression gives you a limited zone where you can play the notes:if you only play an a minor full chord for example you need to focus also the other melodies on the same zone, but if you add another chord like g major for example that gives you more space, so now you can play your melodies focused on these two chords
i think this is something good to start with before you search for more advanced information

Back