Instrument Roles & Chord Progression/Music Theory....???

Chew_Bear

Confused on some basic music theory and chord structure/progressions...

1. How many notes 'should' a specific role/instrument have in its chord progression...???

In other words...Can any instrument use any kind of chord progression/structure that you like or see fit...???

Because...what I have noticed and have some confusion on is...

Some instruments don't like to have a lot of notes in its chord structure. For example...Bass.

I have noticed, that using anything bigger than a Triad for a bass synth...Usually ends up with a instrument that is too 'bassy'. Too many low end frequencies and therefore results in a muddy sound. Seems like the more notes I added to the chord progression...the louder and bassier the instrument got.

Therefore...based on the frequencies (octaves) your instrument/role is being played in...

1. Are you limited to how many notes you can incorporate into your chord progression...???

Obviously...to avoid having too many frequencies that can clash with other instruments (e.g. Bass Synth, Sub Bass, Bass Guitar etc.).

...or simply...

2. There are no rules and you have the freedom to do whatever you like...???

Meaning...you can use a chord larger than a Triad for a Bass...as long as you can make it sound good and not have frequencies clashing.

Last edited:
Hey Chew-Bear,

Here's my advice, coming from a commercial songwriting background.
To get an idea what kind of music I write, listen to my showreel here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiRg3DLCHSY

It helps to see all of your instruments in one of the following categories:

- Bass
- Pad (Harmony without distinct rhythm)
- Drums
- Pluck (Harmony with distinct rhythm)
- Lead/Melody

In general, the rules for these categories are:

- Bass and Lead are monophonic (single notes, no chords or intervals)
- Pad and Pluck sounds are polyphonic and technically can have as many
notes as you like.

I highly recommend reading this article on my blog which explains
writing for bass. It will clear up most of your questions:
How To Write For Bass Guitar | Holistic Songwriting

Notes:
- If you play a synth in its very low register its function becomes that
of a bass. So don't play chords too low.

- In general, you will want to only have one bass line and one melody at the
same time. The only exception for this is layering, where multiple instruments
are used to fatten up a single bass/melody line. But in this case, the different
instruments all play the exact same line so the result is indistinguishable from
a single bass/melody line. In other words: Layering is only done for sound, not
to change a melody.

Let me know if you have any questions,
Friedemann

Hey Chew-Bear,

It helps to see all of your instruments in one of the following categories:

- Bass
- Pad (Harmony without distinct rhythm)
- Drums
- Pluck (Harmony with distinct rhythm)
- Lead/Melody

In general, the rules for these categories are:

- Bass and Lead are monophonic (single notes, no chords or intervals)
- Pad and Pluck sounds are polyphonic and technically can have as many
notes as you like.

So...from a general and mostly a more 'audio engineers' type of perspective...

Is it safe to say that...

A. Most of your instruments that will play at lower frequencies (i.e. Bass) will 'ONLY' be monophonic/single note progressions.

B. Most of your instruments that will play at higher frequencies (i.e. Leads) will 'ONLY' be monophonic/single note progressions.

C. Any instrument/sound/role that is playing at a mid-range frequency will 'MOST LIKELY' be polyphonic/chord progressions and therefore...can be said to be at least a Triad/3 notes and anything above/more (if you like).

Therefore...if following a simple/general rule such as this...most producer's can eliminate the problem/issue of having clashing frequencies/instruments, while at the same time having instruments that are more clean sounding and that will 'cut' thru the mix better...correct...???

Hopefully...this is a good train of thought/theory...??? Or...is it going to be more complicated than this...???

Thanks for all the advice Holistic. You are the man!!!

Last edited:
Oh I just cross-referenced you from your own post not realizing this was yours as well ;)

Anyways, here's my answers:

Is it safe to say that...

A. Most of your instruments that will play at lower frequencies (i.e. Bass) will 'ONLY' be monophonic/single note progressions.

Yes, this is a good rule of thumb. If you want it more specific: Anything lower than f below middle c should be monophonic.

B. Most of your instruments that will play at higher frequencies (i.e. Leads) will 'ONLY' be monophonic/single note progressions.

Yes, leads are typically monophonic. There may be backing vocals but those really fatten up the lead melody, they don't function as chords here. Also, careful: "progression" usually refers to chords, harmony, so here, this word doesn't make sense. A single note chord progression is something you often hear in funk and metal where instead of a chord the guitar player plays just one note. In jazz, this is also known as one-note comping. This type of chord playing is either low (only root notes) or mid-ranged (any note) and never high (usually distracts from the melody and sounds too piercing).

C. Any instrument/sound/role that is playing at a mid-range frequency will 'MOST LIKELY' be polyphonic/chord progressions and therefore...can be said to be at least a Triad/3 notes and anything above/more (if you like).

Yes, another good rule of thumb. That being said, a lead melody can also be mid-range of course. And don't forget about power chords (root + 5th) and thirds (just root note and third of the chord) - these are great alternatives for triads and they only have 2 notes each.

Therefore...if following a simple/general rule such as this...most producer's can eliminate the problem/issue of having clashing frequencies/instruments, while at the same time having instruments that are more clean sounding and that will 'cut' thru the mix better...correct...???

Correct. Good arrangement will make mixing significantly easier. :)

Hopefully...this is a good train of thought/theory...??? Or...is it going to be more complicated than this...???

No, this is about it. There's a lot of details of course but what you're describing is the gist of it.

Thanks for all the advice Holistic. You are the man!!!

Glad I can help :)

Best,
Friedemann

P.S. I've also written a book which has a chapter on arrangement in it, maybe something for you as well? You can find it here.

Low instruments are a special case. Even then you can harmonise them, it's just it has a very specific sound. It might sound kinda ominous or tense. It's used in movies all the time. Ive heard plenty of soundtracks that use two bass lines; 1 fixed, like a pedal, and 1 with a progression an octave(ish) above.

Also the question assumes two parts at equal levels. You can have one part much quieter to subdue the effect.

I've harmonised bass sounds, down to 2 semitones apart. Rarely though.

Back