Instrument Identification Question- What is this instrument??

lukeymontana

There is a sound Post Malone's new song "Holyfield" that I would love to have in my arsenal. It begins at 0:00, accompanying a bass line, and it rises throughout the intro. It carries the basic melody throughout the song. It sounds almost like a synth horn, almost like a synth string but it also sounds organic. I love this sound and think it could be useful to me in the future, so any help on the identification would be helpful. Thanks in advance guys!

(I can't post the link because this is my first post on the site, so I'd really appreciate it if you went and found it online, the song is "Holyfield" by Post Malone. Thanks again!)

I think you answered your own question-- it is a synthesized sound that is a combination of a few others. It may have some Melotron flutes or strings, or some other tape-based sample or, it may include some type of backwards sample lightly mixed in-- I can hear a halting, staccato kind of sound on the attack and a bit of the backwards/tape-y warble. Maybe a plucked string as well. There is a band-pass or low-pass filter applied at the beginning. But basically a string/wind synthesized combo.

GJ

I appreciate it! Definitely confirmed the type of instrument. Any ideas on how to make one? I can't figure it out for the life of me.

Would mention here and now that the reason there's a synth accompanying the woodwind style instrument is because it negates or gets rid of the Haas Effect.

If or when you make this sound, you have to accompany it with a synth and pan the synth in a certain direction to get rid of an awkward (Haas) effect that comes from tape-styled samples. And it especially happens in woodwinds, being that wind can combine with intensity to create (propagate) more sound.

You may not need to ask about this because it COULD NOT happen and with that you're all set to make your beat.

Hmm. Hey Aaron, can you explain this idea a little more? Maybe I'm missing something, but I'm hearing one integrated synth sound, so I'm not sure how there is any phasing to deal with and I'm not grasping your Haas Effect analysis...

GJ

May have gotten into it a bit much with the Haas Effect..
What I was describing was a process that arguably happened in Holyfield. Starting with analyzing: The sound as an integrated synth (no phasing) could have a small delay (15-50 ms)

The small delay is not good for some artists but others choose to take advantage of its effect. (And it's also known that some VSTs are automatically delayed, meaning you can only mitigate or lessen the delay, if not get rid of it completely)

So if the small delay FX on that synth (Haas FX) was at all displeasing, one would fix it by putting a synth in with the mix (Which is what I personally hear with my own ear).

If they didn't do this, then I could be imagining two different instruments playing at the same time and it's only false that a Haas Effect happens in this song. There's much to hear in the song.

Yes, I guess I'm getting confused by your use of terminology, but I think I understand what you're saying now (effects that are pre-set on "pre-sets"). The Haas Effect occurs when delay is used in a specific way, but any use of delay does not automatically equal "the Haas Effect." It would be more accurate to say "pre-set delay," or "the delay on that pre-set sound is fixed; there is no effect control available with that sound." Haas Effect has to do with false stereo imaging and the use of delaying one-side of a double-mono signal to create a sense of directionality.

GJ

Yes, I guess I'm getting confused by your use of terminology, but I think I understand what you're saying now (effects that are pre-set on "pre-sets"). The Haas Effect occurs when delay is used in a specific way, but any use of delay does not automatically equal "the Haas Effect." It would be more accurate to say "pre-set delay," or "the delay on that pre-set sound is fixed; there is no effect control available with that sound." Haas Effect has to do with false stereo imaging and the use of delaying one-side of a double-mono signal to create a sense of directionality.

GJ

Sorry if my post was easy to misunderstand. Currently I live in an area where no one speaks proper English. It's tough, to say the least, to give good explanations and fix my use of terminology when there's no good examples around me.

Thank you for your knowledgeable input.

Last edited:
Back