Indian music ?

From what i remember, the traditional indian instruments work in smaller note steps then western music. The westerns use half steps, and whole steps, when the traditional indian ones have even smaller ones, like 20 or so steps in between each note.

I could be mistaken though .

for certain though, the traditional indian song structure is nothing like modern verse-chorus structure. It goes through more raises and falls from what i heard. Like the structure of orchestral music.

then again, there is modern indian pop that is structured like regular pop, but with emphasis on indian instruments and different singing style.

It just depends on which type of indian music you are thinking about

Last edited:
Is indian music composed jus like the western

Yes and no.

Indian music is based in ragas and srutis, which are similar to scales but have wider implications. From what Ravi Shankar has said, a raga is an arrangement of notes (swara) associated with the time of day or the seasons. It is also a framework upon which the musician improvises the current work. there is no true harmonic underpinnings, as all musicians will perform in the same raga and are therefore guaranteed that the joint improvisation will "work". The wikipedia article on raga elaborates further on this.

Back