Incomplete beat :/

S.Tek

What's up people?

I've got a stupid problem...but it's still a problem.
I feel like my beats are incomplete. I make a sampled beat, with the drums and bass, and most they end up with a full track, with two choruses, sounding all time, all the same.

I know there are very little things with the drums and sample that I can do, to change things up along the beat. But what I wanted to do, was integrate more instruments along the beat, like Blunted beatz for example. The thing is...I suck at composing. I don't know squat about music theory. But am I supposed to?

That's my question, if there's someone who makes beats like what I'm saying, does music theory help? Do you go by tries? What would be the best route for me to follow, in order to learn this? A lot of people tell me to learn music theory, and others tell me it's not necessary. I'd like it not to be necessary, as I don't have a lot of time to learn it, but if it's truely necessary, I'll do it. Just wanted your opinion.

Thanks in advance. Peace!

Music theory would be good, but it's not a must.

I just find a sound I like (usually strings) then try to find a note that sounds good with the sample. Then I try and build a melody from that which works with the beat.

With sampled beats, I end to follow the same formula...I add strings, bass and some piano. But, I suck at sampled beats.

Music theory helps to speed up the process of music production, but honestly, the most joy I had with music was before I worried too much about the theory and just played by ear...but thats me

JC

I just find a sound I like (usually strings) then try to find a note that sounds good with the sample. Then I try and build a melody from that which works with the beat.

With sampled beats, I end to follow the same formula...I add strings, bass and some piano. But, I suck at sampled beats.

That's my issue. If I make a beat from scratch, I probably won't change much around chords and notes, but at least it will have more variations.
Sampled beats - which I prefer to work with - when I try to adventure more than a bass and drums, I feel like whatever I make, even in the right notes, doesn't sound good with the song...it could be the composition, or it could even be the difference in mix between sample and instruments, but it really feels like a composition issue...

Not an music theory expert but I think that it's not that necessary when it comes to BEATS. Melody - sure, even some basic knowledge about the chords can help you for example discover more possibilities and variations but when it comes to simply building a beat I think that all you can really do is just listen and be open for any inspiration dude. Atleast that's my way lol I mean sure you can try a hundred times and get totally frustrated in the process so you eventually create one ok beat but it's a big time waster if you ask me. Try sincing up your beats with everything that's playing "behind" it, like melodies, vocals. This is the easiest way and of course don't be affraid to use a simple sounding beat from time to time lol Sometimes it's all it takes.
So anyway, my advise is - if you're stuck on making cool beats think bout all that's on top first, then make the beat fit it all.
Good luck :)

Not an music theory expert but I think that it's not that necessary when it comes to BEATS. Melody - sure, even some basic knowledge about the chords can help you for example discover more possibilities and variations but when it comes to simply building a beat I think that all you can really do is just listen and be open for any inspiration dude. Atleast that's my way lol I mean sure you can try a hundred times and get totally frustrated in the process so you eventually create one ok beat but it's a big time waster if you ask me. Try sincing up your beats with everything that's playing "behind" it, like melodies, vocals. This is the easiest way and of course don't be affraid to use a simple sounding beat from time to time lol Sometimes it's all it takes.
So anyway, my advise is - if you're stuck on making cool beats think bout all that's on top first, then make the beat fit it all.
Good luck :)

Thanks for the tip, man. Usually it's what I do, but when I sample - which I do a lot - nothing seems right...unless I leave a random note here and there, but nothing very complex..
Either way, I'll have in mind your tip ;D

Back