Imperfect Samples Question - Chords

Mike John

I have the White Honer Grand and am really struggling on getting the chords sounding as they do in the original recording. I've adjusted the velocities of the notes so many times and really cannot figure out where I keep going wrong, I cannot for the life of me replicate the chords as they are in the audio clip (posted below). I have added sustain via Cubase and I know the notes are not perfectly aligned which is no problem to fix after but I cannot get the chords replicated. I also know there is no EQ or any processing so that's not an issue either. Anyone that can kindly help? I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks

soundcloud is mjohnson52 (have not got enough posts yet)

before listening what chords do you think are being used? what voicings have you used?

The vertical arrangement of the notes is as important as the sound, e.g.

C[sub]3[/sub]-E[sub]3[/sub]-G[sub]3[/sub], C[sub]3[/sub]-G[sub]3[/sub]-E[sub]4[/sub], E[sub]3[/sub]-C[sub]4[/sub]-G[sub]4[/sub], E[sub]3[/sub]-G[sub]3[/sub]-C[sub]4[/sub], G[sub]3[/sub]-C[sub]4[/sub]-E[sub]4[/sub], G[sub]3[/sub]-E[sub]4[/sub]-C[sub]5[/sub] are all C major chords but sound very different when played

[mp3]http://www.bandcoach.org/fp/audio/C-MajorVocings.mp3[/mp3]

before listening what chords do you think are being used? what voicings have you used?

The vertical arrangement of the notes is as important as the sound, e.g.

C[SUB]3[/SUB]-E[SUB]3[/SUB]-G[SUB]3[/SUB], C[SUB]3[/SUB]-G[SUB]3[/SUB]-E[SUB]4[/SUB], E[SUB]3[/SUB]-C[SUB]4[/SUB]-G[SUB]4[/SUB], E[SUB]3[/SUB]-G[SUB]3[/SUB]-C[SUB]4[/SUB], G[SUB]3[/SUB]-C[SUB]4[/SUB]-E[SUB]4[/SUB], G[SUB]3[/SUB]-E[SUB]4[/SUB]-C[SUB]5[/SUB] are all C major chords but sound very different when played

Hi Bandcoach,

I have used Dmaj - F#min - Dmaj - F#min

These are the notes as I used them, they are inversions of the original chords:
Dmaj: F#3 - D3 - A2 - D2 - A1

F#min: A3 - F#3 - C#3 - F#2 - C#2

The notes are not perfect but that can be fixed late, I'm more into the chords not sounding as they are in the clip. I've narrowed my focus down to the first four chords as attached

Attachments

• Intro Chords - Real Audio.mp3
    381.3 KB · Views: 20
  • Intro Chords - Remake.mp3
    380.3 KB · Views: 21
Last edited by a moderator:
so your left hand needs to play the root note in octaves at the current pitch and the octave lower - there are no 5ths in the left hand

otherwise it sounds fine

A3 - F#3 - F#2 - F#1??

What are the exact notes you hear? I managed to get the tone of the piano as I wanted to for the Dmaj chord, can you let me know what the exact notes are you hear for the F#min chord?

Thanks

please note that I said exactly the same thing above

your right hand notes are fine

your left hand needs to double the root of the chord that is all that was missing as far as my ear could tell

Back