I'm trying to reproduce this bass sound

TripToy

I've heard this style of bass from time to time, and I've always loved it. I'd like to try and make a few tracks with something similiar, but I just can't figure it out. I mostly use FL Studio and Komplete Ultimate, but I also just purchased Ableton Live Suite (still learning it). So I have Sytrus and other FLStudio VSTi's, as well as FM8, Absynth, Etc. from Komplete and the Ableton suite at my fingertips.

As you can hear below, it sounds metallic, robotic, stuttery... Sort of like a mid tone bass synth was being played behind a fan. Any help or direction pointing would be appreciated!

I can't post links yet so:

youtube [.] com/watch?v=Z6ViBlWKL8U&list=RDfzd4NxRhgLY&index=4

Combichrist "From My Cold Dead Hands"

Lol, brought komplete ultimate before learning anything... I guess your pockets are feeling a bit light now :D.

The stutteryness is really easy, it's just created by having rests in the MIDI pattern.

Unfortunately, the rest of the sound is very tricky... I highly doubt you'll ever get it perfectly.

Most robotic whirrs and growls come from FM synthesis, so you'll obviously be wanting FM8 or Sytrus: either would probably do it.

The general method for growls and robot sounds come from getting a sine wave then modulating it with several operators of different waveforms, then putting envelopes or LFOs on the volume/ mod amount (same thing) of the modulators.

As well as this, multiple FX are probably in use, and possibly even layering too...

Go to youtube and search for 'make growls sytrus', then go through half a dozen tutorials until you get the idea.

A lot of the tutorials will be dubstep ones, sorry but I haven't any other ideas...

Last edited:
Back