I'm trying to make techno,pop, and r&b, where to start, been making rap for years.

richie09

I'm trying to make techno,pop, and r&b, where to start, been making rap for years.

hi, i've been making rap beats (nothing professional, just for fun at home) for a decade. I've been using Reason for several years, currently using Reason 6. Soon I will try to get some of my work out there. Just haven't built the confidence.

Anyways, I've had a big interest in making other kinds of music. I love all kinds of music. But, I want to try to make some r&b, techno, and pop tracks. This might sound crazy but i'm totally lost. I have some great pop ideas in my head but for some reason I can't seem to understand why i can't make those tracks. Like for techno, i read you need to speed your bpm to 120 and up. Also the four to the floor kick (i think that's what they call it, lol). But, still something is freakn missing, I always end up slowing the bpm down and making it into a rap song.

Same thing with r&b and pop, i can't seem to do it, i think part of my problem could be drums, I use Reason and have plenty refills, there's a variety of different kits. But, i seem to be sort of stuck on the same drum pattern whether i use different drums or not. i've tried listening to some songs i like but can't seem to get the pattern.

I'm open for any advice, any particular BPM that's best for those styles of music? any particular drum pattern setting. When I say that, i know various songs use all kinds of patterns, i'm just saying a good starting point. I use Reason 6. When i say r&b i'm not talking about the type that sounds just like rap beats, i'm talking slow jams or music from 80s and 90s.

Also i've had some great ideas in my head for r&b songs, i got in Reason laid down my vocals and dont know what freakn notes to play with it. I know learning Music Theory would probably solve that problem, right? Unfortunately right now between work, family and rushed windows to make music, i don't have very much free time. Is there a simple solution to know what note your singing in? Is there a program in Reason that's will tell you? I try and play the notes Neptune tells me but it doesn't seem right. Its been frustrating to have great ideas, great lyrics and I can't even put music to it. Any tips on doing this? Any youtube videos or tutorials online?

Thanks

R&B - 70 -80 bpm
Pop - 110-120
Electronic - 125, 138, 144, 160

What you need to do is LISTEN to those genres write down the instrumentation then emulate. Count how long the verse is, and hook. IMO R&b and hip hop are the most fun to create, maybe because of my cultural surroundings .. In both electronic music and pop get ready to have A LOT of tracks 50-90 when I'm usually finished. Pop is a whole other beast sample with electro.

R&B - 70 -80 bpm
Pop - 110-120
Electronic - 125, 138, 144, 160

What you need to do is LISTEN to those genres write down the instrumentation then emulate. Count how long the verse is, and hook. IMO R&b and hip hop are the most fun to create, maybe because of my cultural surroundings .. In both electronic music and pop get ready to have A LOT of tracks 50-90 when I'm usually finished. Pop is a whole other beast sample with electro.

thanks a lot, i think my biggest problem is drum patterns and the fact i've been making beats for years, not actual songs (with intros and things). thanks

Back