I'm trying to make Achieve these Staccatos strings. Help please

DannyBeatz

This is my first time here, usually I can figure out everything on my own, but I need help guys. I'm trying to achieve this type of Staccatos Strings. Deep, guttural. Most of the Orchestra vst that I use like Symphobia 1 & 2, Cinematic Strings 1, 2 & Monster Staccatos have very Soft(kinda muddy) String Staccatos. The staccato sound like small group of Individual instruments rather than an Huge ensemble. It used EQs and other Plugins to achieve this sound with no success.(I'm sure I'm not doing something right) Also can you guy recommend Vst that have strongs staccato strings and methods that would help me achieve this sound

Example of the Staccatos I'm trying to achieve. Help and advice is appreciated.

and

You need to bring out the natural grainyness of the strings monster staccato should be able to create do a filter sweep with a decent eq and maybe add a little compression or a exciter

Sorry didn't read the whole post take a look at nexus 2 they have a new orchestra pack "hollywood2" should have something like this in there

Not familiar with the sound libraries you're using, but these sounds aren't gonna take much to create. I'm not sure if the strings he's using are real or not, but achievable easily with good sample packs. IK's Miroslav and even Edirol Orchestral can easily do these, so I'm sure Cinematic strings can tackle it. The trick is gonna be in finding multiple patches with the right articulations. I usually would get a sound like this by using a stacc patch in the background and something like Legato strings for the upfront to give a more fluent transition.

I play by ear, so I can't get technical with an explanation, but I'd play the hard first notes from staccs, and the flutters that come afterwards with short Legatos or Detaches that fill in better. Also make sure you're filling those lower notes with the right sounds to piece it all together. Hope its making sense. If I was in a room with you, I could show you in seconds, just hard to explain. Let's wait for Bandcoach to show up, lol.

Last edited:
agree with deranged

miroslav and garritan and possibly actin strings for me

this is real strings, so the small ensemble of individual instruments is correct

the hardness of the notes is due to down bow accents - in fact you can see exactly the type of bowing in the second video - it is accented down bow (from heel of bow towards tip of bow) and then alternated detache (i.e. it is continuously up-down-up....etc)

Thanks Guys, I also have LASS LA SCoring Strings, and the they have great Cello Samples, I just EQ with no compression and got very close to this sound. Thanks guys.

Back