I'm trying to achieve this drum sound (audio included) ...

mornview

Sorry, I know threads on drum sounds are a dime a dozen these days, but most of them are quite vague, and, as a result, end in responses that are pretty vague as well (and the more in-depth ones are often just over my head). I have a specific sound I'm trying to get, and by providing audio, hopefully I can get a pretty specific answer.

Now, I have to start that I'm still pretty clueless about sound design, so I may be way off base in this. But what I'd like to do is take a standard Fruity Loops kick drum such as this:

http://www.freewebs.com/isthisit_basic/drum2.wav

... and make it sound like this:

http://www.freewebs.com/isthisit_basic/drum3.wav

Is this possible? Is getting dope drum sounds like the second kick simply a matter of the source of where you get your drum sounds? Or can I use things like EQ and Compression to take a standard kick like the first one and make it sound like the second one?

Also, does the second drum have some kind of bass in it? I can't really pick it out ...

And if you could please, try to be as specific as possible; in other words, it'd help me so much more if you could offer some cold hard numbers (such as "boost the frequencies around 300 by about 5db") instead of simply saying "boost the low frequencies". But I'll take any insight you might be able to lend ... thanks a bunch.

I can't reaIly hear most of the detail in the 2 sounds you posted, but it sounds like the second sound is not even a kick but actually a snare sound.

Well,you`re kind of just losing your time on this one...

As far as I can hear the only difference between those two is decay time,release and maybe a little reverb on the second kick,so that it sounds "longer".

Is getting dope drum sounds like the second kick simply a matter of the source of where you get your drum sounds?

That would be the easiest way to go...You can dl hundreds of drum kits of the net.

Or can I use things like EQ and Compression to take a standard kick like the first one and make it sound like the second one?

Offcourse you can but there`s limit to what you can achieve with just Eq and compression...If you want full control you have to learn how to synthesize produce kicks snares etc...

YOu could produce some nice kits just with layering...Put one kick over the other,use envelope to control attack of the kick,eq to cut a certain frequency etc...

dvyce said:
I can't reaIly hear most of the detail in the 2 sounds you posted, but it sounds like the second sound is not even a kick but actually a snare sound.

Sorry about that man; I just exported them as .wav files.

bosko said:
Well,you`re kind of just losing your time on this one...

As far as I can hear the only difference between those two is decay time,release and maybe a little reverb on the second kick,so that it sounds "longer".

Is getting dope drum sounds like the second kick simply a matter of the source of where you get your drum sounds?

That would be the easiest way to go...You can dl hundreds of drum kits of the net.

Or can I use things like EQ and Compression to take a standard kick like the first one and make it sound like the second one?

Offcourse you can but there`s limit to what you can achieve with just Eq and compression...If you want full control you have to learn how to synthesize produce kicks snares etc...

YOu could produce some nice kits just with layering...Put one kick over the other,use envelope to control attack of the kick,eq to cut a certain frequency etc...

Thanks! I'll try messing around with those paramaters to see what kind of results I can get.

Do you happen to know of any good websites or books on drum synthesis? I've been reading up a bit about programming synths lately, but I haven't come across too much on drum sounds.

Back