I'm still learning about theory and scales, but have a question about note placement:

M_Hill216

So basically I've been studying some more, been watching a lot of tutorials and such - I'm trying to make good melodies that stay in key, so I've been mapping out a key in 2 octaves in a sampler and ghost channeling them to make a melody, but the thing is, as you see in this image:
http://i.imgur.com/A2HmbZY.png

My root key is D sharp, the ghost scale is G Minor, I follow this and make a full melody in G Minor, the thing is, whenever I start from the root key of D Sharp in G Minor, I don't know rather to take the second note up or down, or up three notes or down two notes or let it ride out for half the bar or what.

What or where can I learn to understand what note to press next in the scale, basically I need to learn time signatures when it comes to notes and their length and rather to go up the next note or down. Is there a term for this and where do I learn about what to do?

Thanks.

https://clyp.it/py41q1hr

This is the track I'm making, I changed it up some but just so you have an idea. I don't really like it and I think it's amateur sounding, but that's not the point the point is I'm stuck and don't know what to do after the root note in a scale rather to take it up or down or let it play out or what.

Thanks for the advice!

if you really want to understand the theory part, a better way to start learning is:

1) learn all 12 major scales

2) learn all 12 minor scales

It sounds like a lot but if you take 2 keys per week you can do it all in few months. Get at a piano and play Cmajor over and over. when you get it down, go to G major, Then D major, and so on.

Your question is a toucg one to answer because in G minor, the root key is "G". If you start on D# (which is really Eb in g minor) , you are playing in a mode called "Aeolian" I highly recommend you start with the method I was telling you.

Sure, I can learn the scales, all of them, major - minor. But will this ultimately help me be able to make melodies that sound right, I'm trying to make trap, or dark melodies for rap beats and I just want to get good at it. I also own a 49 key MIDI piano. I want to learn whatever it takes to be able to make melodies that actually sound good. I'm finally facing reality my melodies and beats are out of key lucky trash and I just want to get real with myself to actually learn what I can to be the best I can.

https://soundcloud.com/2one6ix

I might as well delete all these tracks, start fresh again. Just learn what I can and when I'm really able to make melodies and make full beats in key I'll then go back to posting them because now, honestly everything isn't as good as it can be. I'm lost though, I don't know where to go to learn how to make melodies for trap rap music, I need to learn this stuff though and as much as I search I don't find any solution.

People tell me when pros at production make melodies they know all the keys not to press, how can I get to this point as well?

Last edited:
Back