Im needing a bit of help reading notes on ledger lines

NinoBrown

A4ledgli.jpg

Ok, i was reading up a bit and an example states that F is on the left and B is on the right, Im so used to the EGBDF when it comes to lines I would figure that the note on the right woulda been "E" again. Is there a good tutorial out there that can help me out with ledger lines for piano?

No need for a tutorial, here's the deal: you've got 5 lines, the bottom line is E, the next line is G, next is B, then D, then F. The spaces between are F, A, C, E.

So, every line AND space represents a white key on the piano. The original lines represent the middle octave. If you want to go further up or down you continue to add lines and spaces in the same manner.

Bottom line, in most lessons, you learn to recognize which notes those are with practice.

Now if there is something out there that is going to make that easier, I invite you to post it. If I find it first, I will gladly do so. However, all I can tell you is that practice is about the only way to master it.

Good luck!

Nothing makes this easy, just practice. By the stage of playing where you are reading from ledger lines, you aren't having to slavishly thing "EGBDF" for the lines, it just becomes second nature; an instant visual-to-thought process.

straypixel said:
Nothing makes this easy, just practice. By the stage of playing where you are reading from ledger lines, you aren't having to slavishly thing "EGBDF" for the lines, it just becomes second nature; an instant visual-to-thought process.

I know but notes do go above the standard lines on the Bass and Treble Clefs...I am trying to read music but I'm trying to figure out what these notes are. Is there a particular order? I mean for example, on that pic I posted above from bottom to top it goes EGBDF but what comes after that top F? I know they go further up and they also lower below that bottom E. I hope that isnt confusing to understand, I hope im explaining myself right lol

there is a pattern

As u know from an earlier comment the notes on the lines are E,G,B,D,F and the spaces are F,A,C,E if you just read line space line space line space..... from bottom line to top line they go E,F,G,A,B,C,D,E,F so if you go above the staff they stay in that order E,F,G,A,B,C,D,E,F,G,A,B,C,D,E,F,G... and so on. and if you go below the staff just go backwords in the alphabet.

Last edited:
kchaney9 said:
As u know from an earlier comment the notes on the lines are E,G,B,D,F and the spaces are F,A,C,E if you just read line space line space line space..... from bottom line to top line they go E,F,G,A,B,C,D,E,F so if you go above the staff they stay in that order E,F,G,A,B,C,D,E,F,G,A,B,C,D,E,F,G... and so on. and if you go below the staff just go backwords in the alphabet.

Someone told me today that right after the top F line then any ledger line afterwards would begin from A-G. Im thinking that's what you mean right? and of course the tail of the Treble Clef would be the Middle C then just go backwards from there right?

NinoBrown said:
Someone told me today that right after the top F line then any ledger line afterwards would begin from A-G. Im thinking that's what you mean right? and of course the tail of the Treble Clef would be the Middle C then just go backwards from there right?

Im not quite sure what u mean by starting with A-G but this picture might explain (sorry its not very good, I did it with microsoft paint).

click it to enlarge

Last edited:
kchaney9 said:
Im not quite sure what u mean by starting with A-G but this picture might explain (sorry its not very good, I did it with microsoft paint).

click it to enlarge

thats the ticket. Thanks for that visual. I was close. When i meant A-G I meant the higher the ledger lines, then it would follow a,b,c,d etc. Now going down the treble clef and bass clefs i know are different but they all must have one prinicple pattern right? like going in the alphabet backwards or something?

NinoBrown said:
thats the ticket. Thanks for that visual. I was close. When i meant A-G I meant the higher the ledger lines, then it would follow a,b,c,d etc. Now going down the treble clef and bass clefs i know are different but they all must have one prinicple pattern right? like going in the alphabet backwards or something?

glad i could help

Back