If you snares are on the 2's and 4's can the kick be a little off?

MarkySoliloquy

Well you read the title. I've been working on this kind I guess you can say kinda out there beat and the kick is not exactly on the 1's and 3's. Is this okay as long as it sounds good or is this pretty much a rule that your kick must be on the 1's and 3's and snares on 2's and 4's.

Last edited:
Of course (or, of course not); it depends on your definition of "a little off."
Can you post a sample?

GJ

Of course (or, of course not); it depends on your definition of "a little off."
Can you post a sample?

GJ

I wish, my ipad froze up and I lost the beat. Had to do it over and basically the kick is on the 1 and the 3 and on 2 beat 3 after the snare. The sample I had laid down sounds similar since the chops had saved so basically I just tried to replay the pattern from memory and although it's similar it's not the same. I had played some synth and bass over the sample and can't remember what I played or the exact instrument. So on that note im pissed man. Thanks for your answer though. I think it may have been my best beat yet and it's gone just like that :(

perfectly fine as long as its not way off, people do this to give the music a less rigid and robotic feel.

As long as it has a groove to it. If it has a groove that can be somewhat predictable- you'll be fine. No patterns have to be predictable though, it's all about achieving the right feel to capture people. Using off-beat drums is a standard practice. A lot of people who have been in the game a long time don't quantize their beats to perfection. They leave imperfections to make it feel more human.

all kicks on 1 & 3 and all snares on 2 & 4 = total boredom and I usually skip the track and don't look back. do more research on syncopation

You can experiment with the position of your kick. You can have your kick on 1st and then an eight late after third, why not, makes the beat memorable.
What is interesting is using a little offset like 100ms or so on your kicks on 1st and 3rd, it makes the sound less robotic and it is great for compressing the bass.

Back