Ideas for new styles in hip hop

N

NonMos

Anyone have any ideas on new styles/instrumentation/rhythmic patterns/cultural music to incorporate into hip hop? Like for example, how Punjabi/Indian music infiltrated hip hop for a minute, then "heartbeat" style crunk, the rebirth of the 808, etc.

Maybe the next one is right around the corner.

I'm not tryin to be cynical or anything, but if someone had a new, innovative idea, why would they let it go?

The trick is to develop your own style, and market that until it's the flavor of the month...

I don't mean a new, innovative idea. I mean an existing form of music that would sound good in hip hop. Nothing revolutionary...something as easy as "I've always wondered if a irish folk beat mixed with house would be cool" or "bagpipes over sitar...try it in stereo."

I believe this forum is for sharing ideas and concepts.

lol^^

to me, it seems like everythings been done

but here in the uk Grime (Hip-Hop crossed with Garage) and Niche (Garage crossed with R&B) are both growing rapidlly. Its like a new Hip-Hop era over here for grime and garage mc's and niche singers. Its the healthiest things I've seen/heard in a while. No other genres are really moving...

I'd really like to hear some celtic hiphop. Irish folk music has some killer melodies and rhythms are not that different from jamaican, oriental or latin rhythms.

" I'm not tryin to be cynical or anything, but if someone had a new, innovative idea, why would they let it go?"

This is what i dont understand about hip hop, how is it going to grow when its more of a fight to the next level insted of everyone working together to the next level.
And the best producer will be the best producer with all secrects out on the table.

I think hip hop needs some new sound banks.
Im digging the mono 1 poloy bass tones, having the bass loop right thru a progression and having a slight glide on the notes.

We also need some more live instruments been stuffed around with and playing with efx. More creative hooks on the rappers side would be nice and if rappers could skillfully become more meaningful with lyrics and not blunt on their messages. But still keep some fun happy party tracks on a album.

Just a couple of ideas for now.

When there is a new sound nobody will support it anyway ...look at the way people treat international Hip-Hop.

70% of french, dutch and british Hip-Hop is better than the US Hip-Hop being released at the moment.

The worry about sharing is the worry about people affected by the industry. Let's say you do tell someone to use some scottish snare in a beat. Then that person hits big. Someone on Entertainment Now asks him "where did you get the idea to do such a strange and original kind of beat?" Because he is practically eating & breathing his fame by now, he will say "Oh I just thought of it one night."

That's MY fear anyway. To claim someone else's idea for yours is a less honorable human downfall then just wanting to be credited, in my opinion.

no, all what happens is somebody makes a type of a song then everybody tries to copy it. that's how all genre's were created.

"When there is a new sound nobody will support it anyway ...look at the way people treat international Hip-Hop."

Very true, but keep pushing it because pretty much every underground style that is good becomes commercial. Commercial in the sense of its popular and well known. Take hip hop for example when hip hop came out no radio would play it now just look at where hip hop has gone.
And as hip hop from countrys outside the USA get better they will start to get more fans and support.

"That's MY fear anyway. To claim someone else's idea for yours is a less honorable human downfall then just wanting to be credited, in my opinion."

I agree tell the people the truth.
Well thats why you would tell the truth so you can sleep at night.
Music should be more like a community like this forum rather than a game or a compitition, Having competition to push you and make you better is a good thing but when music only becomes who can write the coolest song it has lost the meaning of being music.

I think i see it differently to other people because i have done more work with other people than most as in iv played in many bands and done alot of colabs opposed to sitting by myself with a pc and sampling up some tunes. When working with other people your allways trading ideas around and its great someone gives you an idea then you put something on top and just keep moving up from there. You can never run out of ideas.

And then there is allways the time when two peolple from different sides of the world get the same idea, i bet alot of you guys have written a track then 6 months down the track you hear your main idea in someone els's track.

"no, all what happens is somebody makes a type of a song then everybody tries to copy it. that's how all genre's were created."

Very true in a way, the blacks had the blues the white boys in england loved it took it to another level and you get the beatles the rolling stones cream with rock and roll, then from there folk comes big with dylan and you get this crazy black guy that fuses rock and roll and the blues with dylan and jimi hendrix is born and was put down by alot of the black blues and rnb musicians and fans.
But i wouldnt say copy more taking that style and doing something different with it. You do get the copy thing when something goes pop but the copy artists all become one hit wonders of that style the people that try to reinvent or or just make something different with the style will stay for longer.

Inspiration has to come from somewhere and why not from the music and musicians that you love.

Let's think of Hiphop like the Hermit Crab.
It uses somebody else's shell. So, sometimes, you may not recognize it at first, because of its size or its shape, but if you look at that walk, that swagger, you know what it is.

There is no Hiphop sound. Yes. Just because we got some keyboards and a lil skill now doesn't change the fact that this form was born out of using old records to rock a party.

That's it.

So, a new style or a form that actually doesn't even really have a "style" may not really work.

Overall, I do hear what you are saying, but the use of other types of musics as a source happened naturally as people around the world began to see this Hiphop swagger and to use it in their own hood....Cumbia music was used, Traditional Indian Music was used, Juju and High Life Music and so on. This method called Hiphop speks to people and gives them a sense of power and comntrol on how they see and make the world. I fact, I just heard about an International Political Conference in Brazil, last summer and that youth in Brazil see Hiphop as a political and social tool and challenged two kids from The Apple about how the heart and Home of Hiphop has lost its way.

Damn.

And most of us will probably agree.

Anyway, I feel ya.

Peace on Earth....no. Really Peace on Earth...and soon.

Back