are ibstrument arragments learned or is it just felt out.

dmajor100

I've been making music for a while and have stuck to the same arrangments and placing instruments in the same pattens and its getting boring. I been listening to a lot of eletronic and dubstep music and these genres have some of the most complex arragments I've heard in music and its very hard to keep track of there verses and hooks if they even have any. I'm mostly stuck to rap arrangments of 8 bar intro,16 bar verse and 8 bar hook then repeat. My musical skill is ref no Were it needs to be but I haven't actaully done anything serious to improve it Except a bit a piano practice and constent beat making. I'm needing to jump to a new level and since I'm not a natrual of making music I need to study and learn to overcome my weaknesses

so are you are asking about structure only or about arrangement as well; the latter is about the allocation of melody, counter-melody, harmonic movement and rhythmic impetus, whereas the former is about sections and their sequence within the song/tune/track/project

Eye am also interested in this, but more so arrangement than structure. Eye had a thread asking about it not too long ago.

Explore. Listen to a variety of styles, not just what you're most familiar with. Bland orchestral scores? Try listening to some jazz. Boring drum tracks? Check out some ethnic percussion. Take the little things you like from different areas and stir them together to make your own unique musical soup. If you never change your inspiration, then your art isn't going to change either.

Back