I want to start making my own sounds

D

djsaam

Hey guys, I want to start making my own sounds and I have some questions about it. First, do you seriously "make" a sound from scratch, or just tweak sounds that you have? Also, lets say I make a sound, but I want it to have different picthes and spread it across the keyboard, how do I do that? Thanks and sorry if the questions aren't clear.

depending on what type of sound you're talking about...
You can make a drum sound from scratch (recording from drums or anything), you can make an analog sound from scratch (starting from a waveform on an analog synth or vst) but it is harder to make an acoustic sound like a piano, but you can modify it, pitch it, layer it.

And for pitching and mapping try a sampler like kontakt it is great for this type of ****.

It you are talking acoustic sounds you would need to make
a sound for every other key on the keyboard.
Any sound too far from the root noot will not sound good.
It takes alot of work.

breal said:
It you are talking acoustic sounds you would need to make
a sound for every other key on the keyboard.
Any sound too far from the root noot will not sound good.
It takes alot of work.
It does take some work. However, even for acoustic things, you don't have to sample every other note. Some things pitch-shift quite well, and some don't. Here's an mp3 demo of bass sound I made that I think sounds fine and uses only one sampled note (however there are a bunch of velocities, alternate hits and note-offs, so it still takes some effort to put it all together). I find things like dynamics and alternate hits are at least as important to a natural sound as sampling every note.

(That bass sound, in Kontakt, Halion, etc formats is available here if you're interested, and there are a bunch of other sample-sets, including acoustic ones, available for only a few bucks each on the rest of the www.prokits.co.uk site, check it out!)

the farter apart the sine waves are, as in bass, the less the key gets out of tune as you move away from your root note. Tighter waves get off quicker,
i would use plugins to create your own sounds, so then your covered. In reason, mess with subtractor, and watch videos about subtractor on youtube, youll find what your looking for

Gutty502 said:
the farter apart the sine waves are, as in bass, the less the key gets out of tune as you move away from your root note. Tighter waves get off quicker,
..../quote]

That's not really true - if you play the key next to your root note, you're off by one semitone regardless of which octave it is. The frequency difference might be smaller in a lower octave, but its the ratio not the difference that matters to your perception of pitch, and each semitone always represents a frequency ratio of 1.05946, regardless of octave.

djsaam said:
Hey guys, I want to start making my own sounds and I have some questions about it. First, do you seriously "make" a sound from scratch, or just tweak sounds that you have? Also, lets say I make a sound, but I want it to have different picthes and spread it across the keyboard, how do I do that? Thanks and sorry if the questions aren't clear.

Every sound has its on frequency, wavelength, waveform etc...
and these are measured with numbers.
...One of my tutors was telling me that one of his friends is researching on how to create sounds from scratch using numbers/co-ordinates.
...so thats how you would go about creating a sound from SCRATCH...but u would need 2 create some sort of computer that can convert the numbers u enter into sounds....its all science/acoustics/mathematics

Early electronic music from the 50's-60's were done with recording oscillators on tape and splicing the pieces together.

I kinda doubt any of us would have the patience to go through that process... ;)

rock youngz said:
Every sound has its on frequency, wavelength, waveform etc...
and these are measured with numbers.
...One of my tutors was telling me that one of his friends is researching on how to create sounds from scratch using numbers/co-ordinates.
...so thats how you would go about creating a sound from SCRATCH...but u would need 2 create some sort of computer that can convert the numbers u enter into sounds....its all science/acoustics/mathematics
Umm - that's exactly what a soft-synth does! It runs a bunch of calculations - from SCRATCH - on your computer, generates a stream of numbers, which are then passed on to your sound-card, from where the stream of numbers eventually wind up coming out your speakers. Arturia's modular Moog or ARP 2600 are fine examples of something that makes up very complicated sounds numerically, from scratch.

And to clear up a bit of a mis-conception: In general, sounds do not have one particular frequency. Most sounds have energy at many different frequencies. Pitched sounds, say a flute or plucked guitar string, may have an identifiable fundamental frequency, but there will be energy at many other frequencies, often harmonically related to the fundamental. Un-pitched sounds, like cymbals don't really have a fundamental frequency.

Back