I want to make music,,,,

D

dj funkifize

I want to make music... I have experience making music (9 1/2 yrs playing percussion, 2 yrs guitar) and recording some stuff (acoustic rock stuff). My "production technique" is taking form quite rapidly....
I started with a cheap tape recorder, then "sound recorder" and a PC mic on my computer, now I'm using an 8 channel mixer, several real mics, and Cakewalk Home Studio 9.... I started with my current setup about 4 months ago and it is working quite well, I compose w/ my guitar, record the guitar part all the way through and then add to it (drums, percussion, guitar 2 and 3 parts, keyboards, bass (using keyboard), and other instruments (violin, cello, saxophone...etc...(also using keyboard)). Then once the "rough draft" is done, I re-record and change and add parts until I have something I'm happy with...

Recently I started a slightly different technique... I record the 1st part (usually guitar) and sample from it, taking the best version of each phrase of each different part in the song and I cut and paste it and such until the part is good. And I like wise continue the same way with the rest of the parts. The first (and only so far) song I did this way came out soooo good, and much faster than the other songs I have done. I used the keyboard a LOT in it... mostly adding strings and found myself wanting to use more and more voices from my keyboard. I have actually (now that I think about it) used the keyboard for at LEAST 2 voices in all of my songs. The way my music is headed is sorta of like a soft technoish type, I really don't know how to describe it other than that... similar to Moby and Groove Armada. Actually very much like them, but with a little of that acoustic rock that I originally started with mixed in.

Anyway... I think since I am relying on my keyboard so much for all of my songs that I should use midi to compose. Here's what I want to get:

1) sampler (Akai S2000 maybe)
2) synth module (E-mu Virtuoso 2000)
3) better recording device than my sound card (Echo Layla)

well, the brands and models aren't definite, except the Layla, I'm certain that's what I want. Well, I'm sure you're wondering what the heck it is I need from you guys right about now... well, here's what I need to know...

1) how the heck does it all work?
I want to know how to use it before I plan on really buying it.
I think I know how all the modules are connected, but want to make sure...
midi controller <-connected to-> synth module -to-> sampler -to-> Layla -to-> computer.
Right?

and then I just choose the midi voice on the synth module, play my music w/ my midi controller sample what I like and record to my computer? It seems like thats all there is to it.

2) advice on choices of what to get. I chose the sampler and synth based on previous posts, reviews, and the makers' own websites. I chose the Layla based on word of mouth and I also saw their website w/ the specs.

also, if there's anything else I would need or might want that I'm forgetting about, please let me know.

I hope I'm not completely wrong about all of this and sounding like the biggest idiot in the world :) If so, don't make fun of me... well, not too much (hahaha).

anyway... thanks alot in advance for your help. also thanks for taking the time to read this... it was a long one. haha
-Mike

why do you need a sampler when you have a computer? that would just be a waste of money unless you are planning on going on the road with it? there is a lot of software solutions to look at before paying a grand for a sampler. i bought a sampler and it sits. i usually play a patch sound...warp it, loop it, add it into the sequencing proggy in the studio. live is a dif story.

actually I just thought of that today.

I was thinking I should upgrade to Cakewalk Pro Suite. I can use it for sampling, editing and such... I was also thinking maybe I should switch to using Cubasis instead, because it seems that you can find more plugins and add-ons for that. But upgrading to Pro Suite would be cheaper (199 from Home Studio) then Cubasis which I believe is about 600 for the "top" version.

But, I'd still need a synth module, right? or can I get as good (or better) voices using software? and then what about hooking up my keyboard to my computer? I'd use a midi interface, right? and would I need a midi interface even if I do need a synth module?

and do I really need the Layla? Right now I have a Turtle Beach Montego II Plus sound card to do my recording. and I'm pretty much using it to it's limit, that's why I think I need something else.

again... thanks in advance for any further help anyone gives. and thanks cat5music. (oh yeah... no, I'm not doing live stuff...... yet)
-Mike

well?? I'm hoping to get some stuff soon. I'd appreciate some help. Thanks :)
-Mike

My advice:

. get either Cakewalk or Logic or Cubase (either work, it all depends on what you feel better using)

. get a synthesizer: Virus B or SUPERNOVA I or SUPERNOVA II RACK (i thin it is one of the best on the market, but it is expensive. worth it though)

. do you want realistic sounding instruments? get either a sampler + CDROMs, or a VIRTUOSO 2000 module. it is worth the dollars, and you can get that real strings sound no problem. And i know peopel say you dont need samplers if you have acomputer, i say its not true. I say software sucks when you need polyphony and stable timing.

. if you get a sampler, you can buy a couple of drums cds, and you will have some very very realistic sounding drum kits too. As you are a drummer, you will do a LOT from a sampler. I suggest either an akai s5000 (WITH the USB extension, the new software to control it, and the OSv2.0) or an EMU (any) or a Yamaha A5000. either ones, upgrade the memory and get CDROMs with instruments on them (NOT audio, DATA ones).

As i said.. a sampler can do MUCH MORE than what people first think. It does more than sampling and looping.. you can get amazing instruments from CDROMs (not sampling them, they are already patches).

... and a real synthesizer does a lot more than what peopel think (again! heh). Either a Virus B or a Novation Supernova rack will be the perfect complementary to the sampler or rel sound module you'll get.

Ahh i forgot.. get a cheap keyboard controller.. they sell some for $100 nowaday, and they will work just fine until you decide to buy a bigger one with hammer mechanism if you feel comfortable.

I've been throught his, and had a lot of equipment, sold a lot, did a lot of reviews, testing, etc.. I am glad to help you out.
Hope this helps man, see you around!!!
:)

so...

1) I'll upgrade my Cakewalk (because it's cheaper and I already have experience with it).

2) I do want real instrument sounds (as real as I can get)... so Virtuoso 2000.

3) I don't need a sampler if I get the VIRTUOSO 2000, unless I read wrong.

4) I have a Casio WK 1300 keyboard- it has midi out/in... that will be good as a controller for now, right?

so that's all i need to be on my merry way?
cool
thank you so much. You were a lot of help.

-Mike

I've been waiting to find a Virtuoso somewhere cheaper than my local music stores... like ebay or in classified ads somewhere. But apparently nobody wants to give theirs up. I don't have money to get a virtuoso, with the other stuff I need, but on ebay I saw other sound modules for cheaper and was wondering if they were as good or good enough in quality. I just want real sounding instruments.

Roland MT-32
Roland U-220
Emu Proteus /2
Korg wavestation
Roland M-SE1

I want it mostly for realistic orchestra sounds. Solo and ensemble for all sections of the orchestra. What are your opinions?

dj funkifize said:
I want it mostly for realistic orchestra sounds. Solo and ensemble for all sections of the orchestra. What are your opinions?

Then, get the Virtuoso 2000, no kidding.

I know other people will jump in and tell you I am wrong, but believe me.. I've been composing music since years, always very influenced by classical music, and my background is classical music training too, so I can tell you when a sound is realistic or not.

The Virtuoso 2000 is very new (a few months old) and it the kind of machine you keep when you buy it. It has a NO LATENCY responce (meaning it's very fast) and 128 notes of ployphony. Furthermore, you can add 2 ROM CARDS if you want to add sounds from other EMU modules. You will not find it second hand but here is a trick to pay it less:

I think it is a great great investment, and you can find it at music123 for the cheapest on the market (you will see the banner popping on this site from time to time, the purple one). The sell it for $999 USD (instead of 1399!)

Talk soon. This is really what you want ot get though. I am going to get one from music123 for myself.

I've been trying AKAI CDROMs on the sampler I had (fully blown AKAI S6000) and I found the Virtuoso to be much better sounding and much more reliable than those (i remember taking 10 minutes to load my sounds from 10 different CDs to get a correct soudning orchestra in my sampler's memory at the beginning of each session).

"some" of th eosunds are nto that great, but that's maybe 10-20 instruments out of the +1000 the machine has :)

Take care man.

Ask your dealer !!!

Hi, if you are looking for a all in one solution the creamware pulsar card is the card for you.. it can sample, synthesize, mix, effectize, and the routing is flexible as hell, its a dsp-based product and is has a open-source software platform which results in updates and new devices (instruments, effects, etc.)I won't say you must buy the product but ask your dealer for a demonstration, i use this product every day with a lot of yoy !!!!

Don't forget about Reason!

I recently got this program (which you can download a free demo of at http://www.propellerheads.se) and this is by far the easiest to use and most intuitive music generation program that I have ever used.

Granted you will still probably want to get some of the other programs out there to mess with your sounds and songs even more but this program will get you in the right direction and if nothing else give you a really good idea for what hardware to get and the concepts and workings of the hardware that reason provides.

I hate to sound like a reason evangelist, but this program literally is one of the best i've used.

/.v

Mano1-
I'm saving up for my Virtuoso right now!

QA-
I'm going to check out Pulsar, but I think I'm sold on what I want to get.

Vetch-
actually I want to get Cakewalk's SONAR XL. It comes out in March. It's supposed to be better than everything else (or so Cakewalk says)... but it's got everything in it, plus since I am a registered Cakewalk user (I've got home studio 9.02 now) I can pre-order it before it comes out for a low low price of only $299 (a $739 value).
Heh, I sound like a commercial....
but it's got all editing, mixing, recording and effects (MIDI and audio). Have you heard anything about SONAR XL and how does it compare to Reason? I assume that since it's the newest thing from Cakewalk that it's going to be their best. I was actually going to get Pro Suite but then I saw that they were coming out with sonar.

From what I can tell it looks like it has alot of the same features. The main thing I like most about reason is the fact that everything in the program looks like the actual hardware so its really easy to understand. It also acts like the hardware in the way you route the devices and you can even re-route the devices to your fancy.

/.v

Mano-
not to be annoying, but...
I know the Virtuoso is the best, but I can get a Proteus 2000 for less... are the sounds as good? close to as good? Because I know that before the Virtuoso came out, the Proteus 2000 was the best (at least that's what I heard). So is it worth it to get that for less? or should I still save for the Virtuoso 2000?
thanks a lot
-Mike

hip hop mouvements

I woud'like to talk with pepole who are intersting about hip hop.

koulibi-

there's a whole forum for hip-hop if you check the left side of the screen. If you want to mix hip-hop, then go to "mixing" or if you want to compose it, then go to "composing"
-Mike

If your on such a tight budget i think vetch is on the ball here.. Reason is cheaper then getting any of these units.. and does EVERYTHING u should need.... EVER

If u ever get tired of its sounds.. u can midi sync it to ur other equipment anyway.

Dont pass it off becuase its a program.. download the demo, its by far the top program on the market

Back