I need help with "PAD" sounds...

elmcity

FL Freak8
Hi all,
I am trying to program some mellow/warm
pad sounds. How or where do i start?
I am using K2000/CS6X/JD990/TG500/MC909/MP-7 to get this done, i just need to know where do i start. Using it for r&b/hip-hop music. thanks all:)

Word. I hear you there. I've been looking for decent Hip Hop pads. Something light and smooth to fill the beat up a little.

I've heard Atmosphere by Spectrasonics has a ton of pads if you wanna spend a little money.

I also heard of a free VST called Crystal. I'm downloading it as I speak. I'll let you know what I come up with.

Those programs I suggested are VST's. A VST is a virtual instrument. There's alot of programs that allow you to sequence or do real-time recording with these VST's. There's Logic, Sonar, Ableton Live, Fruity Loops and more. I use Ableton Live for all my sequencing and recording. Then use ReWire to go into Pro Tools where I do the final edits and mixes.

One of the best places to start is by finding out what each aspect of the synth does. Once you know that, you can do things much more predictably rather than having to throw a stone into the dark all the time.

There will always be experimenting points, as this is the nature of programming, u don't know exactly what you are going to come up with until it is there. But by knowing what everything does, it can help you go off in more specific directions.

knowing more about different types of synthesis can help too, also getting info on common sounds made by merging waveforms can help too.

Scott

elmcity said:
I am using K2000/CS6X/JD990/TG500/MC909/MP-7 to get this done, i just need to know where do i start. Using it for r&b/hip-hop music. thanks all:)

Start by checking out the presets to see if anything already programmed does something close to what you're looking for. If so, great. You saved yourself the trouble of figuring out how to program it from scratch.

If not, start tweaking knobs to see how each one affects the sound. If it makes it better, keep it. If it makes it worse, revert the change. Save early and save often.

Good Luck.

Yes, a good place to start would be checking out the pad presets on your synths. If the pad doesn't seem to "fit" into the song, try using filtering to do away with unwanted frequencies. Use a High Pass filter to roll off the low frequencies for a brighter sounding pad, and use a Low Pass filter to roll of highs if you want a smoother, less obtrusive pad sound. Beware of piling up too many frequencies in the low end of the spectrum, as this will definately "muddy" the mix.

there should be some kurzweil pad tutorials somewhere on the net, possibly by darwin grosse, i don't remember. type kurz pad and tutorial in google and u should b good. use your music collection and your ears to make it more hip-hop like. RTFM and u got a nice li'l secret weapon. The kurzweil was my religion 4 a minute.

^^^ you must have down syndrome,you asked what it ment then he told you no need to be gay,lol.

All I want to know is what it means, and the guy gets smart with me, no one told him to watch anything, but when I get like that with him, now I gotta watch it, then I get diagnosed with down syndrome right after that all because I want to know something if your not gonna share info then don't there's no need to be ignorant, Oh let me watch it while everyone else says what they want, now that's just perfect, thanks.:mad:

You asked what does RTFM mean and then THM told you what it means.Then you bashed him 4 no reason either than helping you,thats why I diagnosed you with down syndrome because usually you don't respond a helpfull reply with a mouth full of hate...

Back