I need help with EQ'ing a kick

thedummyman

I just wanted to know if anyone knew how to get a kick sounding like the one Fat Joe has in his song "Lean Back". Is there a certain effect i apply to the kicks or is there one already pre-made like this. Thanks in advance

Egopanic said:
Sample it......

The mods should make this a bannable offense. Because I see it in 50% of threads asking for tips on how to achieve a sound and it's basically destroyed these type of threads.

I can't remember what the lean back kick sounds like right now, but I would say try using a compressor on a kick that has a similar sonic quality. Maybe something like RBass which basically enhances harmonic content and can really fatten up kicks.

It's most likely that it's just a preset from something(Motif maybe? I dont know the drums on that one) that has been recorded really hot, compressed a bit with some other effects applied very lightly(Delay, reverb) and low passed.

Or maybe instead of just telling him, maybe he should learn himself more about sound design, eq, compression and all that stuff so that he can create the sounds he wants. Even just trial and error will work. Why don't you people just try learning stuff yourself first.

wait a minute now....i dont know to much about sound design but i have knowledge of compression and eqing. Just so you know i do read up these types of things i was just wondering if someone could offer me a shortcut of getting a desired sound. Sorry to come off angry but i kinda feel insulted

Red_venom said:

it's basically destroyed these type of threads.

surely this is a good thing?

'How can I sound like Dre?'
'How can I get a bassline like Nelly?'

etc?

Just sample it.

A sound is sound, most of these huge mainstream producers sample some soul/funk loop in everything they do.

Is that sarcasm?

Lets face it, when it comes to drums, there's a lot of sampling. I don't wanna get into why it's ok to steal somebody's drum sounds, or who does/doesn't do it because it's pointless argument. For the sake of these boards, lets try and give some constructive critisism, or referrals to some good sites/threads. If it's a stupid question like, how do I sound like dre? or whatever...which isn't what thedummyman was saying at all, then it deserves a stupid answer - fair enough.

I could keep going, but all I'm saying is Spread the knowledge. Isn't that what these boards are for?

if i'm thinking of the same beat, its not an off the shelf beat. as the guys said above you could sample it, but it could be more fun creating your own. i tend to recreate beats and end up with better sounds for my tracks.
i think you tried a simple kick (something like a standard 909 kick) and layer if with a sub bass,
turn up the attack on the kick and let the sub ride the drum sound. then whap in a 2band EQ and bring the sound together. play around with the freqs to bring the sound closer to what you are looking for. then play around with different basses or drums if not happy. always remember to move the freqs around. thats all i can add.

Damn this is why I don't frequent FP anymore.. You gotta read a page of bs and nobody answers your question.

Aye man it's like this..

Kick + Reverb then hard Gate

Compress it all, and inbetween those steps.

Trial and error works but you need a starting point.

-Donovan

Back