I need a book on analog synthesis

B

Beats_BANG!

any suggestions for a book on analog synthesis, i want to learn more about what i'm doing. Right now i just turn knobs (virtual ones at that) and mess around with them til i get a good synth, i think if i learn some i'll end up with better results.

i'm looking for something like "analog synthesis for dummies" but i couldnt find one through google, just tutorials.

Oldschool analog

There Are a number of things to learn and look at when considering old school analog technique. As far as i know there aren't Many manuals for analog synth, And any of the required things to learn about it should be in any manual or help tutorial that came with the product.

I will try and break this down in a simple format in which u can understand.

Synth/orSoft Synth there are fundamental basic priciples.

A,D,S,R-Waveform-Filters & Lfo's- to start.

A=Attack "The greater the attack the less initial playback upon Trigger of note"
D=Decay "The ammount of waveform decay. Best way i can describe this is it's a lower end of the cutoff and will allow you to make a short stab out of a note & or sound or a mild longer pause"
S=Sustain- This Sustains the pat/waveform further than decay .

R=Release - Is how quick or long you want the release after note off. any desired result. Infinite pause or mild sustain upon release.

The waveforms are Just that... Its a type of signal or frequency that when different waveforms are applied it Directly changes the type and feel of the sound Most standard old synths should have 4 or more waveforms... As nowaday you can simply design your own waveforms even in your hardware synths.

Filters and Lfo's- Im sure you already know what these do. Filters work in multiple parts.. Cutoff,Resonance, and various types of cutoff. I.e Bandpass, Lowpass Highpass. The names of these filters should give a good indication of the effect. Lfo Is a time triggered Method of any of these Paramiters.

There is no real set method on using these. That is what makes a good synth player or engineer set apart is experience with these features... Later In the vintage synth years we started seing things like automated arpeggiators... Which intermitantly scale notes on the designed time and note signature.. Pich bend.. Modulation. Octive shifting... and other fine tuning options...
Most synths now ... even with the preset patches you can adjust and combine any of these methods to acheive a desired sound and or effect.. It really just depends on what your trying to acheive out of it. Especially now with todays synths as everything is digital and program integrated unlike "Real" Analog synths like the old rolands...
May i ask what kind of synth/softsynth your using and what your trying to acheive and or learn ?

Last edited:
i'm using a few different ones, like synth1 and other freeware virtual analog synths. They didnt come with a manual so i didnt get much help there. I understand attack, decay, release and sustain from using compressor/limiter/gates. Its the LFO's, filters, amp/drive, and the different waveforms that i'm kind of confused about. I'm going to get an alesis micron soon and i want to be able to use it to its full potential.

I have a decent understanding of synthesis but i want to learn more about what i'm doing. Thanks for the help soleunity.

google 'how to make a noise' theres a free version

and search amazon for ' power tools synthesizer programming'

good books

Last edited by a moderator:
Back