I have a off the wall question that I have been wondering for years

Dj Akidna

The Ying Yang Twins, Salt Shaker has a sound within the track that plays right on the cymbal and has this falling effect to it and keeps repeating through out the track. I noticed that the same sound can be heard on Too Shorts - Shake that Monkey and it plays right on the cymbal as well and has this falling effect to and fades out. Now I realized that it seem that when Lil Jon was producing his beats he seem to use this synth I'm guessing its more then likely a present from some module or another, but I find it to be very unique and have always wonder where is comes from. I'v tried to recreate through the means of other modules and VST, but cant quite get what I'm looking for I guess so I figured I would post up on here and see if anyone knows.

Ying Yang Twins - Salt Shaker

Too Short - Shake That Monkey

My Apologies if I have posted this in the wrong Forum.

I'm listening through chromebook speakers right now but just after a quick listen, I'd assume the answer would be some combination of a simple synth sound with a narrow filter that's "falling" over time. Hopefully that's not too broad of an answer for you.

The Ying Yang Twins, Salt Shaker has a sound within the track that plays right on the cymbal and has this falling effect to it and keeps repeating through out the track. I noticed that the same sound can be heard on Too Shorts - Shake that Monkey and it plays right on the cymbal as well and has this falling effect to and fades out. Now I realized that it seem that when Lil Jon was producing his beats he seem to use this synth I'm guessing its more then likely a present from some module or another, but I find it to be very unique and have always wonder where is comes from. I'v tried to recreate through the means of other modules and VST, but cant quite get what I'm looking for I guess so I figured I would post up on here and see if anyone knows.

Ying Yang Twins - Salt Shaker

Too Short - Shake That Monkey

My Apologies if I have posted this in the wrong Forum.

Unfortunately I don't know what synth he was using but i just had a crack at re-creating it and you can get pretty close by using a saw wave (or something similar) oscillator with a bunch of detuned voices and modulating the pitch on that oscillator. The modulation should be upwards, but with no attack or sustain, and then mess around with the amount by which the pitch is changing and the decay to get as close as possible. Through the pitch modulation i described you can achieve that dropping effect and the detuned saw voices along with that should get you pretty close. from there I would tweak with an EQ, maybe some effects like distortion and a phaser or some other stuff, and perhaps modulating some sort of filter. I think you could get pretty damn close (basically identical) without using presets if you really wanted to.

Back