I Feel Like Everyone Hates On Fl Studio

Brandonson90

Sometimes it feels like everyone just hates on Fl Studio because of its success nd simplicity. Ive use machine didn't like it. Used Studio One & didn't like it . So i have tested other daws. HMMMM

I have a feeling early versions used to be less serious - a bit like dub turbo or similar and the bad reputation stuck with some older producers
Nowadays it's fine, of course

I was fond of fl8-11. Was SOUR about how 12 became.
I've used reason as long as fl because of rewire so I found studio one as a main daw and grown fooooond of cubase ai as a slicex replacement.

Was usin fl in 2010-2014.
Used reason from 2012 to now.
Dabbled in ableton a few times, it's alright but I much prefer timeline daws.
Reaper is a runner up imo.

Fl studio apparently started out as just a sequencer which is probably where that stigma comes from.
I would not recommend dubturbo since podium and lmms pounce it.

Mulabs is an interesting little daw too. Might actually use that as a main on tablet but desktop, s1/reason/cubase ai.

I Feel like everyone hates on Fl studio

FL Studio is great coz it's simple,i mean i only started about last year Dec to use but i have never complained on anything except it does have problems on the Vst plugings otherwise it's so simple a person with an idea for a beat does not struggle to put the beat together

The only thing I don't like about it is that it's expensive. To get the full audio clip features you essentially have to pay 210 dollars whereas a competitor like Reaper provides everything for 60 bucks. That's a big difference in money. I really feel like Image-Line should provide the audio clip features in all the versions right away but they don't.

FL is the only DAW I feel comfortable using. Tbf i've only dabbled in a bit of ableton, haven't had an oppurtunity to try many other DAW's.

Personally, FL Studio has worked really well for me. It's the fastest and most user-cooperative DAW that I've came across at this point in time, but that's just me. I've tried Ableton and was like, "?????" I've also tried Cubase and while it is a good DAW, FL Studio's workflow makes more sense to me. If I took the time to get down Cubase, I could probably make music just as fast though. I've also used Sonar and I would personally put it's workflow on the same level as Cubase, since their layout is very similar.

A lot of people can hold some sort of prejudice against the DAW because there's so many people that pick up a copy, throw in a copy of Nexus and call themselves genius producers, which can be seen as disrespect to the art of music in itself.

I would also like to add that FL Studio isn't that expensive for a DAW. Of course when you compare it to Reaper; the latter's cheaper, but compared to other DAWs like Cubase, Sonar, and Pro Tools, it's not really that expensive.

Last edited:
I started on the Roland MV-8000. Than switched to the 8800. Than switched to FL and never looked back. I've used Studio One for a while but didn't like it's Piano Roll.
For me FL is just much easier and faster to get things done in it.

It's ease of use is unparalleled. Ableton is for cool cats, cubase is nerds, fruity loops is for people who maximize off of fast and easy programming

LOL @ The Student Alejandro. Yes FL Studio Rocks my socks. I started with Reason and I miss the Propeller, good old days

FL is not very expensive (don't forget that unlike just like every other DAW, you get free updates for life) - Reaper just happens to be ridiculously cheap for what it offers.

And as it's probably been established by now, everyone doesn't hate on FL. Whether or not one feels like it, it's just not true - software packages with a big userbase tend to generate some "hate" as well, and they're usually most vocal about it.

FL Studio gets a lot of undeserved hate, mostly from people who think 'real music' should come from 'a real DAW'. I started out with FL 7 long ago and loved the simplicity and how easy it is to get into. I have tried most of the DAWs out there to find one that suited my needs best and landed on Pro Tools and Logic. If I were to give some criticism to FL, it would be that it can be hard to understand how the signal flow works. Most of that is done automatically in most DAWs now anyway, so not too big of a problem. Although, you'd quickly find that a real mixing desk can be too different from FL. Also, I didn't really like recording audio in FL. Always found that a little awkward. I have tested FL 10-11-12 as well, so I don't think my opinions on it are outdated, although I haven't been as involved in it as I was during FL 7 and 8.

If I were to give some criticism to FL, it would be that it can be hard to understand how the signal flow works. Most of that is done automatically in most DAWs now anyway, so not too big of a problem. Although, you'd quickly find that a real mixing desk can be too different from FL.

I've thought this as well. That's why if I were to recommend a DAW for producers just starting out, it would be Reason. Reason requires you to hook up individual synths to mixer ports and other synths, distortion pedals and etc, whereas FL just kind of leaves you hanging. Doesn't make FL a bad DAW by any means however.

Reason requires you to hook up individual synths to mixer ports and other synths, distortion pedals and etc, whereas FL just kind of leaves you hanging.

Yeah, Reason has a really good user interface in that it looks like an analog rack. Similar principles is also why I personally prefer PT, because they both still act like the hardware in some respect(meaning you have to gain some basic understanding of the signal flow to be able to do what you want). I have tried Reason, and one of it's strongest points is, of course, the intuitiveness of the interface.

I'm a reason nut but knobs is knobs and faders are faders.
The only synth I can think of that looks not like no hardware on earth is synplant.

It's ease of use is unparalleled. Ableton is for cool cats, cubase is nerds, fruity loops is for people who maximize off of fast and easy programming
I read that and felt like I was back in high school. But wtf do I care I'm a cool cat.

I own FLstudio, REAPER and ProTools, and REAPER is best IMO. The combination of power, flexibility, ease of use, price and performance is simply second to none. Not to mention, the company that makes it (Cockos) is an awesome company. I usually do all my recording, tracking, midi-editing etc etc in REAPER, render and export it all to Protools for mixing and whatever processing I haven't done in REAPER. The only thing I really find FLStudio to have going for it is it's sequencer thing that most people use for very simple beats and the stock sounds that it comes with, most of which I'm not too fond of in the first place and many of which I can simply record and build myself and use as an instrument via Kontakt.

I believe that when someone is a begginer you always search for the best possible tools so you can make sure what you are doing
But when you learn everything you need to know all you want is your work flow to be quick and effective
So you start to use those really simple tools such as parametric eq 1 ahead of any advanced eq because of the work flow

Back