I dont know if this has been asked before but...please come inside

Sacriligeous

Hey

Im a total newbie to Film Scoring, and this question has always bugged me because i never seemed to find a specific answer for it. What i wanna know is, when youre composing along with a video, there are specific instants in the video that require the music to suddenly change from one mood to another, or get faster etc. But what i dont understand is, how would you do that change at the exact moment, when ur composing at a certain tempo, i mean, movies dont follow a certain tempo so i would be kinda hard to keep changing tempos...etc? i dont know how to really ask this properly, if anyone gets what im talkin about, or can point me to a previous thread that would help me, please reply lol.

Yeah this is an interesting point which I'd like to know about too. I mean, do the film-makers sometimes edit after music is prepared, so they can sync to the music instead of the other way round?

the used sequencers let you sync audio to video, so changes can be made at the exact videoframes..

you import the video at first and then create the music so it fits the videoframes lenghtwise.. like this you know how long you have to create your score until you have to do certain changes..

i.e. if you have to make a tempochange you can sync the midi-change command to the exact video frame.. that's how you can get perfect timing when scoring film music

composers get to see the film on a huge screen infront of the orchestra before any final recordings are made. The film director is sometimes there too, so they both can go over any changes that need to be made.

yes, and usually your music editor takes care of all of the timing notes i.e. setting up the click track, what frames to hit, etc.

but if you don't have a music editor then you'd use a sequencing program and possibly set up your own click track

Amanda

Back