I don't have a legit rapping voice?

usernameman

Hi, I went to the studio recently for the first time and was disappointed with the result. I can't explain it, but my voice simply don't sound right when I rap. Please check out this vid to see what I mean.... http ://youtu.be/5DwruqYsi0I (erase the space, for some reason they say I can't post links unless I got at least 20 post wtf)

I didn't go to a super high tech studio, but the one I went to seemed good enough and it was only 25 bucks. I at first was going to blame the equipment for my dissatisfaction with my voice, but here is a vid of someone who recorded in the same place I did..... http ://youtu.be/GrUrvp9iF3E

As you can see, her voice sounds super professional and legit unlike mine. Of course she went to a different studio in the same place since she used instruments and a band. The studio I was in was much smaller like a closet of some sort. I recorded my song on the first try with no problem. I practiced the lyrics to that song for weeks and had it down packed. But as you see, even though I switched up my flow, pace, and tone on the song, it still sounded like a amateur. When I rap at home I think I sound perfect, but when I rap in the mic I sound kinda different. Even when my voice was clear on the track it still didn't sound right, so he add some echo effect, still didn't help. So my question is, should I just admit that some ppl don't sound right when they rap? People like Wiz Khalifa, Mac Miller, and Kid Cudi sound exactly the same when they talk and rap, thats all I want! It was my first time in the studio so maybe I'm overreacting but I know if I go back there its gonna be the same result. So any tips? Advice?

Edit- I just noticed that I posted this in the wrong section but I don't how to delete it so I'll just keep it here.

Last edited:
It took me like 10 years til I was solid when recording. Probably would have been faster if I had more studio time. I still rapped non stop, so maybe its like they say, 10 years makes you a professional. So practice. Record as much as possible. Don't blame.the equipment,.as long as your voice is clear,.the rest is on you. Voice isn't bad either. Flows off in spots but practice and dedication is the only thing that works. check my mixtape 9DM .. I know my opinion only really matters if I can back it up lol

thanks NYJ and 9dmgtnw thanks for the advice bro you really helped me out more than you know and your mixtape is mad dope!

Well as they say "practice makes perfect" also a really cool thing is when the rapper has perfect pronunciation ie. nas, 2pac, eminem but then they add there own style to the word so its really unique giving it more flavor and punch also emotion makes a voice more intriguing and nicer to listen too. Dont forget to learn how to compress and mix vocals correctly id say these days most rappers rely on heavy processing dubs pans imagers compressors eqs ect. to get that "rap" sound also dont be afraid to expiriment if something sounds shity just keep messing with it haha another cool thing rappers do is like whisper dubs and screaming dubs or dubs through water w.e ideas you can come up with to get a unique fresh new sound.

Rappers are born to rap...no offense...ghostwriting is a talent too

Rappers are born to rap...no offense...ghostwriting is a talent too

Your a fool if you really think any one person was born to do any one thing...no offense...freewill, dedication, practice, persistence - thats what gets people to where they wann be. You wann sumthn, go gett it. Period.

Traditionally, raspy voices work the best for rap. Try becoming a chain smoker lol

nas, 2pac, eminem

some rappers (Biggie, Nas) were just born nice as **** and were ripping cyphas to shreds since they were kids

other rappers (Eminem, 2pac) started off as laughably wack rappers but slowly evolved into beasts on the mic

Back