How'd they create this sound? Ab-Soul Turn Me Up. Reverb?Delay?

Ryz0n

First of all, love this beat. Real 90's feel to it. I'm listening to the original sample material to this song, and I can't find where the third note is in the loop on this track. I'm thinking either it's a separate instrument (a rhodes or somethin maybe), or they have a delay/reverb of some sort creating it.

If you listen to the sample, it's soaked in reverb and has a "liquidy" "wavy" feel. The effect achieving is that is what I'm after.

The original
John Abercrombie - Timeless (Sample at 4:51)
John Abercrombie - Timeless - YouTube

The track in question
Ab- Soul ft. Kendrick Lamar - Turn Me Up
Ab-Soul - Turn Me Up (feat. Kendrick Lamar) [HD] - YouTube!

It's that third note that hits with the delay. Is that note a sample from the original, is it a separate instrument, and if the effect is a delay, what type settings can achieve it?

it's the sample with a spot delay used as a send delay - that is it doesn't come back on the same channel as the guitar sample. The send to the delay is turned on for the note and then turned off, but the output continues to sound, simple old-school trick with hardware and even simpler with sw.

Enjoy.

Ok that makes sense, so they have a send delay on the sample. What is a spot delay though? Spot as in, they're delaying only in that one spot of the sample? If that's what you mean, then could you enlighten me on what type settings achieve that effect? I'm assuming you can do this with a simple stereo delay...If spot delay means something else then...Thanks though.

spot delay is simply a delay that has the send turned on or off as needed.

The actual settings are something like a 150ms-300ms delay time and moderate amount of feedback, it is best to start it low and add a little at a time until it sounds right- sorry I can't be more helpful than that as there are two many un-named factors to guess what to tell you will work in your situation......

Ok that makes sense, so they have a send delay on the sample. What is a spot delay though? Spot as in, they're delaying only in that one spot of the sample? If that's what you mean, then could you enlighten me on what type settings achieve that effect? I'm assuming you can do this with a simple stereo delay...If spot delay means something else then...Thanks though.
The wavey liquid sound is probably coming from some sort of modulation and the delay, well, it's delay lol, i do agree with you, it could be achieved with a stereo delay plug...

Nice to see someone with good taste in music!!! Also, bandcoach knows what hes talking about

Back