How you go about making music such as this? (weeknd, fka twigs, banks)

Callmeyeshua

I'm really digging the ambient rnb (i guess thats what you would call it) sound, but as a person who primarily samples I have little idea of how to go about constructing songs that sound like this. I think if I could just find the base pad or melody these things are built of it would help a great deal but whenever i go into my DAW and try it sounds like trash. maybe my chords are just off or I'm not using the right sounds. It would be a great help if people could throw some insight in here.

example

Last edited by a moderator:
it seems simple enough on the surface

I know that all of those sounds are in the stock library of patches for reasons synths and drum machines

repetition of notes is the key to this particular track/genre and the harmony is bare but made by the meshing of the upward bass line and downward moving synth line - i.e. Am-G[sub]/B[/sub]-Em-D is whet I am hearing first up (could be a different key (G#m) guitar sounds out of tune but want to finish this rather than spend a few minutes fixing that

so basically this sound is just picking the right instruments even more so than other things? Since when I try to replicate I just get a mess. how would I go about choosing teh correct sounds and such to even start on making a track such as this?

Last edited:
Back